New to Seattle, Needs Ice Partner

Nick Aiello

Hello All,

My name is Nick and I've just moved to the PNW at the end of July, coming from New Hampshire via Alaska.

As the ice season approaches, I'm getting anxious to get out and climb, and so far I haven't met anyone who's done more than a handful of days of ice climbing. I've spent the last couple years guiding in North Conway, NH, and up Denali, so being in the city is a real fish-out-of-water experience for me. That, combined with not knowing anyone out here, leaves me jonesing for a partner.

In any event, if someone is interested in getting after some WI4-5 ice or alpine routes, let me know. I'm definitely no badass, but I can promise to bring a safe, level head and a lot of experience with me. And I have a sweet AWD Astro work van.

I've been up Denali 5 times now (one personal trip, 4 guiding), and have spent the last 4 seasons climbing in the Central Alaska Range. So, if you're interested in AK, maybe we can trade your knowledge of the Cascades for my many stories of misadventure in the Range.

Finally, I may be a decent climber, but I consider myself an excellent bailer. I pride myself in the ability to turn tail and bail safely from almost anything!

See ya out there!DSC003851.JPG

Photo: Me at the col above Ham and Eggs on the Mooses Tooth, April 2013. First ascent of this season (to the col). Denali's SE Buttress in background.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Nick:

Welcome to the Seattle area - your resume is pretty awesome and probably overkill for the Washington Cascades, although there is some good alpine climbing here. The reason you have only talked with a few regarding our "ice" availability is because it is very elusive and tentative here in Washington (It's one of those here today, gone tomorrow scenarios). Most of the good ice climbing is in British Columbia 5-16 hours drive from here, or Montana and Idaho. I'm not trying to disillusion you - maybe check out the books "Washington Ice" and "West Coast Ice", and you'll see what I'm saying. I'm actually very envious of your time spent in the Alaska Range - nice job!

Bon Jour, :tup:

Obwan is pretty correct, if you get a handful of ice days in a season you are doing pretty well for a weekend warrior or someone who decides to go skiing instead of driving 5-16 hours when the ice is buried locally.

That being said, hit me up if it gets cold enough. I often have weekdays free. With my usual handful of days on ice a year I'm always feeling rusty leading on WI 4-5 but I can follow anything and lead my share.