Aggressive Seattle Bicyclists

Fairweather

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a dumb trend mostly, although some people legitimately prefer the feel of a fixed gear. Back in the day, the freehub caused a lot of controversy among a group of people who felt that the fixed gear was a more "pure" interface between human and bike. Those people never really went away, Sturmey-Archer even makes a 3-speed fixed hub to appeal to this market. In a flat city, it's not a terrible option if you have a huge beard.

no derailler to get all iced up

I have never heard of a derailleur "icing up". Ever.

Fixies are a fad; what isn't?

Where do you ride in the winter?

20100130_bianchi01.jpg

sometimes the entire freewheel freezes and it won't ratchet

(not my photo)

IMG_1066.JPG

As probably many here know commuting every day in the rain and road grime wears stuff like derailleur pulleys, rims, and brake pads down fast.

I have some perspective now on bike commuting, doing my teaching stint here in Iowa. With the appropriate gear, a 15 degrees/dry Iowa winter commute is much easier on the body and bike than a 40 degrees/rain Washington winter commute. Something about that moist, maritime air- hits you like a ton of bricks.

FWIW, both the current lame-duck Seattle mayor and his predecessor have stated, in interviews, that implementing and enforcing some sort of bicycle registration simply isn't cost-effective. I personally support property taxes to build pedestrian, bicycle, and metro infrastructure - the people and businesses who reside here are the ones that benefit the most from these improvements.

And for every bicyclist I see do something stupid or illegal, I've witnessed at least 3 auto drivers roll through stop lights, run stop lights, speed, speed in a school zone, cut someone else off, and do all of the above with a cell phone in their ear.

I've never, ever, witnessed or heard of anyone receiving a traffic ticket while riding a bike in Seattle. And that's STUPID. Every time this topic comes up, everyone expects that bicyclists will "naturally" behave and follow the law without enforcement. I invite and encourage the SPD to begin enforcing traffic laws on bicyclists (this includes me).

I think that people ride like they drive. Crappy drivers = crappy bicyclists too.

And fixies are to bicycling what telemarking is to skiing. :ass:

Edited by chris

FWIW, both the current lame-duck Seattle mayor and his predecessor have stated, in interviews, that implementing and enforcing some sort of bicycle registration simply isn't cost-effective. I personally support property taxes to build pedestrian, bicycle, and metro infrastructure - the people and businesses who reside here are the ones that benefit the most from these improvements.

Maybe this is part of the reason he's now the lame duck mayor? FWIW, I can't wait until the new mayor fires that $95,000/year bike czar pizza delivery guy. Also, gotta love the way bicyclists always want someone else to pay for their privilege. Property taxes? Hell no!

Also, gotta love the way bicyclists always want someone else to pay for their privilege. Property taxes? Hell no!

Every single bicyclist you see is just a tax-evading parasite! In fact, they don't even have houses to go home to, or taxable income, or cars of their own. They just bike around in circles perpetually, pissing us off and sucking on the city's teat!

Maybe this is part of the reason he's now the lame duck mayor? FWIW, I can't wait until the new mayor fires that $95,000/year bike czar pizza delivery guy. Also, gotta love the way bicyclists always want someone else to pay for their privilege. Property taxes? Hell no!

good lord you whine.

why don't you list five things in your life that you are happy about.

I'll even set up the numbers for you so it's easy:

Edited by slab_master

Bicyclists "privilege" should be paid for by someone else. Its called good policy. It encourages behavior that results in a net benefit to everyone. It's pretty fucking simple.

Your arrogance is apparent here. Now, I know you've been told over and over that this is true, but have you really thought it through? If so, I'd love to hear it. Health benefits? Sure, I'll buy it(broken bones, skulls, teeth notwithstanding). But what are these other benefits you speak of?

Also, I'm sure the minimum wage worker driving the $1500 1985 Nissan held together with baling wire is quite happy that he's paying for the infrastructure improvements that allow you to ride your $3500 19lb carbon frame to work and, once again, reconfirm your HTT status at the office.

good lord you whine.

why don't you list five things in your life that you are happy about.

I'll even set up the numbers for you so it's easy:

This one is particularly obnoxious--especially for a guy with only 17 posts. What you seem to be saying is that anyone who doesn't think like you, vote like you, believe what you believe, or who expresses a contrarian opinion must, by default, be unhappy. Wow, what a small world you live in, friend. (Lemme guess: Seattle?) Truth is, there are about 20 other forums on this very site where one can express all the joys of life--and I regularly post in these very forums. Do you?

Edited by Fairweather

Bicyclists "privilege" should be paid for by someone else. Its called good policy. It encourages behavior that results in a net benefit to everyone. It's pretty fucking simple.

Your arrogance is apparent here. Now, I know you've been told over and over that this is true, but have you really thought it through? If so, I'd love to hear it. Health benefits? Sure, I'll buy it(broken bones, skulls, teeth notwithstanding). But what are these other benefits you speak of?

Also, I'm sure the minimum wage worker driving the $1500 1985 Nissan held together with baling wire is quite happy that he's paying for the infrastructure improvements that allow you to ride your $3500 19lb carbon frame to work and, once again, reconfirm your HTT status at the office.

Every day I ride my bike, 520 is that much less congested. You're welcome. Hell, drivers should be THRILLED to see cyclists. They should yell out the window, "Thanks!" as they pass me illegally before a round-about and brake-check me into the sidewalk.

Every day I see a huge line of cars waiting on La Wa Blvd through the arboretum. I'm sure they're all glad I didn't have to squeeze my Subaru into one more spot that isn't there, as I saunter quietly down 26th, alone on my bike. :wave: