Obama and his Lying Issues

Fairweather

I read somewhere that in Switzerland if you have an old abused carcass, they just let you die. That's why their life expectancy is so much higher than ours. Also that's why their health care costs are lower.

Sometimes the truth doesn't make sense. I get it.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In any event, take a look at % of healthcare expenditures on persons in their last two years of life. Or, like prole said, big pharma's got a pill/treatment that might help you squeeze a few extra months outta that old abused carcass. But it's gonna cost you...

WOW! This is probably completely unique to the U.S. and obviously a major cause of our outrageously expensive health care system.

Quite frankly, it mostly is. You seriously disagree?

Is this why countries like Bahrain and Slovenia have a higher life expectancy than us? Probably Europeans live longer because they don't want to, unlike us selfish americans who expect to live into their 80's. Makes sense to me! You've got some awesome ideas! You should consider becoming a writer.

yeah, people in Slovenia and Bahrain live just like us. They consume the same # of super-sized #7 meals over the course of 40 years, and warm their car seat and couch with their lard asses just as many hours as the average American! No difference, rob!

yeah, people in Slovenia and Bahrain live just like us. They consume the same # of super-sized #7 meals over the course of 40 years, and warm their car seat and couch with their lard asses just as many hours as the average American! No difference, rob!

Well, Bahrain has an obesity epidemic (almost 30%!) and rates 5th in the world in diabetes -- 15% of the population has it, and it accounts for 5% of all deaths. Cardiovascular deaths account for a third of all other deaths. But I suppose you're right, it's probably their great lifestyle that accounts for their long lives, and not their universal healthcare coverage. Excellent point! I learn so much on cc.com, I hope you guys can tell how appreciative I am

I agree with you, we should probably try to model our society after Bahrain

Well, Bahrain has an obesity epidemic (almost 30%!) and rates 5th in the world in diabetes -- 15% of the population has it, and it accounts for 5% of all deaths. Cardiovascular deaths account for a third of all other deaths. But I suppose you're right, it's probably their great lifestyle that accounts for their long lives, and not their universal healthcare coverage. Excellent point! I learn so much on cc.com, I hope you guys can tell how appreciative I am

Compare these stats to the US, and also to our historical trends over years in these areas.

I agree that the rest of the world will soon live like bloated slugs and drain their financial resources extending lives for as long as possible no matter the cost- they just need to hurry up and catch up to us! U. S. A.! U. S. A.!

well, I'm doing my part to live fast and die young. You're all welcome! I will gladly accept a bottle of Blanton's in appreciation. Porter has my address on file. Thanks!

You're too mean to kill. And Blanton's will just help keep you preserved (pickled). No bacteria will be able to survive in your body, prolonging your life. But at least you will not be in a hospital - you'll just be on the internet stirring up shit ;-)

Interesting comparison of the variation life-expectancy, morbidity, disability, etc by county in the document below.

The idea that variations in how doctors and hospitals practice medicine explain the county-by-county variations better than variations in diet, exercise, smoking, drinking, etc, etc, is fascinating.

http://www.healthmetricsandevaluation.org/sites/default/files/policy_report/2013/IHME_GBD_US_FINAL_PRINTED%20070513.pdf

Interesting comparison of the variation life-expectancy, morbidity, disability, etc by county in the document below.

The idea that variations in how doctors and hospitals practice medicine explain the county-by-county variations better than variations in diet, exercise, smoking, drinking, etc, etc, is fascinating.

http://www.healthmetricsandevaluation.org/sites/default/files/policy_report/2013/IHME_GBD_US_FINAL_PRINTED%20070513.pdf

After removing the effects of demographic changes

using age-standardized rates, the three leading causes of premature mortality in

the US were ischemic heart disease, lung cancer, and road traffic injuries. Since

the US performed significantly worse than the OECD average for these three major

causes, the greatest potential reductions in premature mortality could be gained by

improving outcomes for these causes.

Interesting! Thanks for the link. I knew traffic injuries were a big factor but I didn't realize it was quite that much!

...the three leading causes of premature mortality in

the US were ischemic heart disease, lung cancer, and road traffic injuries. Since

the US performed significantly worse than the OECD average for these three major

causes, the greatest potential reductions in premature mortality could be gained by

improving outcomes for these causes.

Well it's a good thing that the demographic most at risk from these now has better access to affordable health care!

-Bahrain has a way higher percentage of young people than the US. Most of the morbidity/mortality associated with obesity materializes decades after the person becomes obese. It's possible to correct for this via age-indexing, but it's not perfect. When you compound obesity with smoking, drinking, stress, etc the specific mortality associated with obesity is difficult to tease out.

Without more information it's very hard to figure out if the health care system in Bahrain is way better than our own system when it comes to keeping fat people alive, if our fat people have additional health risks that fat people in Bahrain don't, or some combination of the two. There are probably pockets of super-high mortality for fat people - most likely in places where "suga diabeetus" is part of the lingo, and other places in the US where fat people don't die off as quickly (I'd guess that Utah is probably in that category).

-Even in places with single payer, there are significant regional variations in virtually every measure of health, longevity, etc. How do you personally account for/understand that kind of variability in a single payer system?

Regional variations in cardiovascular mortality in Canada.

CONCLUSIONS:

Significant regional variations in age-standardized CVD and IHD mortality were noted both at the provincial/territorial level and the health region level. Efforts to reduce CVD and IHD mortality in Canada require attention to both traditional risk factors (eg, smoking) and broader determinants of health (eg, unemployment rates).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14571309

-Even in places with single payer, there are significant regional variations in virtually every measure of health, longevity, etc. How do you personally account for/understand that kind of variability in a single payer system?

You misunderstand, I agree with Fairweather: our lifespans won't improve until we stop trying to keep old people alive for so long. It's a huge part of our health care problems. Bahrain obviously doesn't attempt to keep old people alive as long, that's why they live longer.

It's oxymoronic, but I trust his analysis.

So, let's say your big gooey dream of single payer is finally realized here in Amerika. How much should this fictitious society spend to squeeze an extra year of life out of, say, a 78 year old guy like Ivan who has chain smoked all his life and now has stage 4 lung cancer? $250,000? $4 million? No limit? Sorry, but this is not tenable. And at the end of the day, is having a government bureaucrat make the final decision on Ivan's fate any less horrifying to you than letting the soulless invisible hand of the market make the same choice?