Camera Insurance?

bush-in-sky

I recently bought a dslr with the intent of bring it with me on climbing and skiing trips (so a not insignificant chance of dropping and damaging/never seeing it again, water damage, etc.).

I thought I'd be able to get a rider on my renter's insurance policy, but when I called they said nothing they had would cover against accidental damage. Reading online it looks like there are "Personal Article Policies" available from places like State Farm, though I don't know yet if they'll do that as a stand alone policy.

Anyone climb or ski regularly with cameras that are insured? Or are you either confident in your ability to not destroy it or ok with replacing it out of pocket?

Thanks, thought I'd ask before I wasted too much more time reading random photo forums.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for my sony mirror-less camera I got a 2yr policy [from sony] that protected against damage. I was/am good with it but it still had a lot of wear at the two year mark. I'll admit as that 2yr rider was coming up there was a little voice in the back of my head tempting me to 'oops' and at least get a nice shiny new body.

Take a look at BHphoto or Adorama, I am pretty sure they have policies for protection (body and lens sometimes being separate). Or wherever you bought from really.

Once you find something read reviews on the policy. I could be wrong but I think they're generally pretty straight forward and decent.

Maybe shop around for new homeowners or renters policy and you can probably get a rider for cameras and electronics. Far cheaper than the rip off that is the retail extended warranty. I have USAA for all my insurance and just cashed in on a claim after dropping my camera and case a couple hundred feet at Beacon Rock. I called them, they paid me on the spot via direct deposit and I had a new camera an hour later. I think I pay about $8/year or some such, which is based on the value of the items I have covered... Camera, laptop and jewelry (I don't really have much jewely, cept a custom made retired wedding band made of gold with Denali and the Alaska Range in platinum and my grandmother's diamond ring), if I remember correctly. I got a new laptop a few years back when my kid dumped my laptop and broke the screen. Like any warranty or insurance, be sure to read the fine print!!! Caveat Emptor...

I've yet to destroy a camera in the hills, and I always take a camera.

In the old film days this wasn't too hard to accomplish, but I have to admit that I have been surprised how durable cheap digital cameras are. I've had good luck with Canons. I think I switched from slides to a dslr about 2008. On long rock climbs I have a small digital P&S on my shoulder strap, on easier terrain I have a dslr in a chest case, skiing too.

That said, when it is raining or snowing heavily I tend to put the dslr away. Mostly you are whited out anyways and the photo opportunities are limited. As you can imagine, water and shock are the two things to avoid. My chest pack is pretty much water and shockproof (within reason). I always throw my neck strap on too when I have it out of my pack, it has saved me from dropping the camera a long ways a couple of times.

The only camera I've ruined so far was due to an MSR water bag, I unknowingly opened the little spout that should not exist. Leaked into my pack making a pool which my camera was sitting after I'd stowed it for the raps.

Generally 3' of 3mm tether will stop it from falling & common sense will keep it put away when it's too wet/ snowy. Get a good bag & use common sense & expect it to wear out one day, like all good things.

In my opinion insurance is a racket.

These "insurance" policies are just a plain fraud. Your camera will be covered for 1 year no matter what by the manufacturer. Panasonic offers 3 years on some of their pro line. Generally what I would advocate- get it covered under your home owner or renter's insurance. Most of these extra policies WILL NOT cover accidental damage like dropping your camera or water damage.