Speed records in Washington

keenwesh

I wrote about a few other long-ish dayhikes that aren't really FKTs in the "type II fun" category ( http://www.drdirtbag.com/category/type-ii-fun/ ), including Logan, Challenger, Dome, and the Chilliwack peaks (2 separate outings). I think all the Bulgers are doable in well under 24 hours; I'm not sure about the central northern Pickets yet.

Edited by seano-

• 2 months later...

I went in with a buddy 2 days ago and ran Goode in 13.41 c2c. Not sure how recently the fire on the north side of park creek burned, but that descent was pretty miserable and slow. Short of that nightmare, fantastic route. Could almost certainly go a few hours faster. We spent 20 minutes hanging around the summit.

Wahoo!

Ps, doing Logan after Goode would be a wild ride, shorter mileage but almost double the vert. North cascades are a special playground ya'll have up here.

Edited by keenwesh

I saw this and had to reread the whole thread. My additional offerings are as observer and scribe as while I have aspired to endurance hiking/scrambling, my climbing has never been much faster than snail pace.

-Leor's many offerings are inspiring and mind-boggling but much done in the Sierras or with good trails and without the unique approach/deproach "opportunities" located in much of the Cascades.

-I spoke with Croft about his effort in the Enchantments. I don't believe he ended with Snow Creek Wall but did start FROM ICICLE CREEK and not the Stuart Lake TH so tack that on to his one day traverse starting with the complete N. Ridge. As a side note, he said he nearly got arrested by The Man on the 8 mile road since they were trolling for parking lot vandals and couldn't believe a lunatic would be out hiking fast on the road at midnight.

-I was doing Outer Space in the 90s when Miles Smart came soloing by with a partner going fast. Another party asked if I was concerned that a ropeless climber was just above me. I said I had zero concerns.

• 10 months later...

There is a recent article about super enduroathlete Kilian Jornet in Outside mag.  The article mentions doubts about his Everest trip expressed by the one and only DH, of interest to those who recall the epic discussions about Rainier, etc. on this site years ago.  It never hurts to have another turd in the punchbowl.

13 hours ago, matt_warfield said:

There is a recent article about super enduroathlete Kilian Jornet in Outside mag.  The article mentions doubts about his Everest trip expressed by the one and only DH, of interest to those who recall the epic discussions about Rainier, etc. on this site years ago.  It never hurts to have another turd in the punchbowl.

That is crazy!:crosseye:

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/4/2014 at 3:57 PM, matt_warfield said:

Good point Off. I detected some tongue in cheek there. But would somebody resurrect the Rainier speed debate? It took many many pages on this site and lots of laughs ensued and enemies made. The newcomers need to know this shit. Chad Kellogg vs. bullshitter from OR. Epic stuff.

Dogs. Peanut butter. Good stuff...

But seriously, glad to see after almost a decade folks still realize that having fun is what's important. Challenges and speed are cool, but it's a personal challenge, rignt?