Speed records in Washington

keenwesh

• 3 months later...

Liberty is 18 miles RT with 13.5k of gain/loss, Mt. Blanc is roughly 12k of vert and 16 miles RT and the record for that is a few minutes shy of 5 hours. Comparing apples to oranges, but even so, seems like 21 hours is not even close to what is possible.

Which route on Mt Blanc are you referring to?

• Is it fair to compare the DC route on Rainier with Liberty Ridge?
  • What about comparing a route with a beaten in foot track and receiving thousands of ascents/year to a route that requires scrambling to get to the base, no established route, and fewer ascents?

Liberty is 18 miles RT with 13.5k of gain/loss, Mt. Blanc is roughly 12k of vert and 16 miles RT and the record for that is a few minutes shy of 5 hours. Comparing apples to oranges, but even so, seems like 21 hours is not even close to what is possible.

Sure someone's probably done it a bit quicker, like DPS said, but closer to 5 seems improbable for the reasons Feck stated. I'd also add that the most straight forward climbing on LR might be found early season, like May or early June, when the White River road isn't fully accessible.

I waited for a couple hours to get on Diedre and a couple more waiting for parties ahead to organize belays that are bolted. Barely got down before dark. Epic. Speed was irrelevant. Search for UncleTricky's post a few years ago.

Mt. Si near Seattle (4 mi./3400 vert.) has been done in a little over 30 min. one way.

The triple is Si, McClellan Butte, and Granite Mountain in a day. No climbing but a butt load of mileage and vertical.

Conditions are huge with snow and ice.

Anyone notice that Chad Kellogg died? Brings back memories of the Rainier speed debate.

Edited by matt_warfield

Kilian Jornet set the Mt. Blanc record, by way of the Gouter Route. I've stood in front of the church in Chamonix and that's a mindblowing feat, incredible amount of ground to cover in a small amount of time. He also did the Innominata Ridge (not quite as much vert but 8ish miles longer in total distance) in 8.43, Courmayeur to Chamonix.

I got the 21 hour figure from googling "liberty ridge speed record". I didn't look very hard.

I doubt I could do liberty in sub 24 hours, but I also suck. Still, for someone like Kilian getting a sub 10 hour time is completely feasible. It's fun to think about the limits of human endurance. When incredible stuff like this gets pulled off it really motivates me to get out and push my own limits.

And lived in Bozo no? Conrad knows.

Took me 3 days for first trip up Granite Pk. One of the most remote of the highest peaks in the lower 48.

And props to the Vancouver dude who did (I believe) Grand Wall, Freeway, and U. Wall in a day.

But to evade thread drift, don't forget Croft doing Stuart complete N. ridge including Gendarme, Dragontail and all things in between in the Enchantments in a day.

Edited by matt_warfield