I 522 Breaking News

Kimmo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glyphosate, active ingredient in Monsanto's RoundUp.

Last month, an environmental group petitioned Argentina’s Supreme Court, seeking a temporary ban on glyphosate use after an Argentine scientist and local activists reported a high incidence of birth defects and cancers in people living near crop-spraying areas. Scientists there also linked genetic malformations in amphibians to glysophate. In addition, last year in Sweden, a scientific team found that exposure is a risk factor for people developing non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

From an article in Scientific American

Not to worry. Monsanto says it safe so it's safe. You must trust the mighty corporation(s) and our supreme gubment. Not that there is much of a dif between the two...

But we'll see soon enough who's fear-mongering worked better.

I'm hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

If I-522 does not pass and you are worried that without a "Contains GMOs" label you might eat GMO food, you could look for the handy "GMO-Free" labels and by default figure out which food contains GMOs and then avoid those.

Monsanto latest GMO crops are manipulated to produce neonicotinoids. Neonicotinoids are a great new pesticide. Too bad neonics also are linked to die offs in honeybee populations.

Recent studies on epidemic death rates among honeybees are beginning to point fingers at genetically modified seeds produced by Monsanto. In 2012, an epidemic swept through commercial bee colonies killing up to 50% of the nations’ bee colonies used to pollinate crops for farmers. Among the hardest hit are almond growers in California, who saw their bee colonies nearly decimated over the winter. While hives looked to be healthy last fall, there was a near-catastrophic die off of honeybees over the winter.

While it is hard to say if the mass die-off is solely due to genetically altered seeds and not drought or fungal issues, European scientists have linked bee epidemics to neonicotinoids, which are incorporated into plants grown from genetically altered seeds produced by Monsanto. The neonicotinoids are suspected to be the culprit in the mass die-off of bees in both Germany and Spain.

Source

Not to worry. Monsanto also purchased a company that is studying how to stop colony collapse.

In 10 years Monsanto will sell plants that kill bees and as a sideline sell the antidote. Can you say Cha-ching $$$$$$$

If you've got money and don't mind ethical controversy buy their stock

Monsanto latest GMO crops are manipulated to produce neonicotinoids. Neonicotinoids are a great new pesticide. Too bad neonics also are linked to die offs in honeybee populations.

Recent studies on epidemic death rates among honeybees are beginning to point fingers at genetically modified seeds produced by Monsanto. In 2012, an epidemic swept through commercial bee colonies killing up to 50% of the nations’ bee colonies used to pollinate crops for farmers. Among the hardest hit are almond growers in California, who saw their bee colonies nearly decimated over the winter. While hives looked to be healthy last fall, there was a near-catastrophic die off of honeybees over the winter.

While it is hard to say if the mass die-off is solely due to genetically altered seeds and not drought or fungal issues, European scientists have linked bee epidemics to neonicotinoids, which are incorporated into plants grown from genetically altered seeds produced by Monsanto. The neonicotinoids are suspected to be the culprit in the mass die-off of bees in both Germany and Spain.

Source

Not to worry. Monsanto also purchased a company that is studying how to stop colony collapse.

In 10 years Monsanto will sell plants that kill bees and as a sideline sell the antidote. Can you say Cha-ching $$$$$$$

If you've got money and don't mind ethical controversy buy their stock

I don't know if this colony collapse thing is credible enough to stop the machine, but it would be interesting to see the FDA and/or Dept of Agriculture forced into performing an Environmental Assessment or a full-blown EIS under NEPA that considers all of the direct, indirect, and cumulative affects of GM seeds before they issue any more approvals for trials or patents.

Sounds like maybe you're a little too emotionally invested in this thing?

What does that mean?

Remember, I'm the one asking the questions around here. :)

Are you talking about the redundancy of my post, the discussion itself, or....?

Prole fancies himself a keeper of inside knowledge; a sort of meditator perched on a higher shelf. Hence, when any sliver of common ground is acknowledged by those he views as his enemies, he rolls his eyes and sighs loudly "well duuuhuuuuh." But the real secret is this: those he perceives as his lessers are usually far more dialed in than he is--and the lonely shelf he sits on is full of volumes he has never bothered to read.

Sounds like maybe you're a little too emotionally invested in this thing?

What does that mean?

Remember, I'm the one asking the questions around here. :)

Fearing the worst. LOL. Chicken Little!!!

I-522 isn't really about GMOs so much as it's about people hating monsanto. You can have an entire conversation about GMOs with someone and the first thing they'll do is bring up Monsanto and Roundup, as if that's all that needs to be said.

"I hate McDonald's. Let's label anything that is a hamburger!"

I have lots of friends voting yes, so I don't really care that much. But it sure is interesting to see how poorly understood the science is in popular culture. But I guess that's true on nearly any technical topic presented in mass media. it's kind of a joke putting an issue like this to the voters and then letting two huge corporations (both of which stand to profit if the other one loses) spend endless amounts of money on campaign cash presenting questionable arguments to a largely ignorant and easily frightened electorate -- half of which doesn't even bothering showing up to vote.

What a system!

Let's go ride bikes

I-522 isn't really about GMOs so much as it's about people hating monsanto. You can have an entire conversation about GMOs with someone and the first thing they'll do is bring up Monsanto and Roundup, as if that's all that needs to be said.

I have lots of friends voting yes, so I don't really care that much. But it sure is interesting to see how poorly understood the science is in popular culture. But I guess that's true on nearly any technical topic presented in mass media. it's kind of a joke putting an issue like this to the voters and then letting two huge corporations (both of which stand to profit if the other one loses) spend endless amounts of money on campaign cash presenting questionable arguments to a largely ignorant and easily frightened electorate -- half of which doesn't even bothering showing up to vote.

What a system!

Let's go ride bikes

:tup: Nailed it.

What a system!

Let's go ride bikes

You could substitute any other name for "Monsanto", and the issue would still be the same.

And, unfortunately, your misguided argument would still be the same.

What a system!

Let's go ride bikes

You could substitute any other name for "Monsanto", and the issue would still be the same.

At least he has an argument.

Posing endless questions is not an argument.

What a system!

Let's go ride bikes

My argument against GMOs (their usurpation of the natural environment) would have presented a stronger case than the one your fear-mongering, dreadlock I-522 friends managed to concoct.

Again, do you think mandatory childhood vaccinations are a good idea?

Next thing ya know Fairweather will be posting studies that say "DDT is no big deal and there are conflicting studies on whether birds are harmed by it." :lmao:

Monsanto has a prominent name and have made their views on GMOs clear. That puts them in the spotlight, however the vast majority of the anti GMO add champaign comes from out of state corporations with no direct ties to Monsanto.

In state funding for anti GMO adds is a sliver of the pie.