I522 - Pros and Cons

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All seriousness aside, one thing to note for all you Nate Silver wannabes is that Republicans mail in their ballots later than Democrats in WA on average. No one knows why these strange creatures exhibit this quirky behavior, but the effect is significant come election day (and maybe after for a too close to call situ). The GOP has tried to train its Big Tent Animals to herd early, herd often, but so far they've resisted all entreaties to just be done with it.

That, and Monsanto just sent me a free Tomacco.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Fantastic news for the corporate shills here:

The latest No on 522 cash infusion, another $3.78 million channeled through the Grocery Manufacturers Association, brings to $21.1 million the war chest that food and agribusiness giants have raised to defeat Washington’s Initiative 522, which would require labeling of genetically modified foods.

Recent big money history in Washington:

The aluminum industry and bottlers repeatedly turned back initiatives requiring returnable bottles. A small state income tax, targeted to the wealthy, was defeated by dollars from the wealthy.

The American Beverage Association in 2010, spent $16.9 million to roll back a modest soda pop tax, enacted by the Legislature to ease cuts in education spending. Other state legislatures were looking at the model. The beverage makers sent a message: This is what we will do to you.

The National Rifle Association, fearful of precedent, spent $5 million in 1997 to defeat an initiative that would have required trigger locks on weapons stored in households and mandated a gun-safety course for new purchasers of firearms.

It's amazing how smart the voters of Washington are when corporations spend a few million "educating" them.

All seriousness aside, one thing to note for all you Nate Silver wannabes is that Republicans mail in their ballots later than Democrats in WA on average. No one knows why these strange creatures exhibit this quirky behavior, but the effect is significant come election day (and maybe after for a too close to call situ). The GOP has tried to train its Big Tent Animals to herd early, herd often, but so far they've resisted all entreaties to just be done with it.

That, and Monsanto just sent me a free Tomacco.

This seems to read like a defacto admission that your fellow Ds are more likely to be lured in by the folly of this initiative than those on the other side? :shock:

As for the tomacco, well, I was mildly disappointed when I bit into this vegetable (or is it a fruit?) and discovered it contained a pig's eyeball and a cuttlefish tentacle that tasted like Roundup.

The most painful part of voting NO on I522 was going against the wishes of the Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap company. Their claim of being the All In One cleaner is actually true. I stock 5 cleaners in the house - dishwasher and laundry detergents, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and Dr. Bronners.

On the flip side, it gives me great pleasure to vote against a campaign that calls for a boycott of a business that simply didn't agree with it (Safeway).

Safe to say THAT one backfired. I've talked to a lot of folks that were as turned off by that self righteous attempt to squelch political speech as I was. Safeway's response? Shovel a few more million into the opposition. Brilliant!

The threat of a thousand or so Birkenhobbits who've never gently padded their way into a Sketchway continuing to not do so must have resonated in the highest halls of management. Somehow I don't think chain's walking dead customer base will notice.

Next up: Boycott Plaid Pantry!!!!!

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Modern socket wrenches can produce far more torque than traditional open wrenches. We should label every product that was created using a socket wrench so that people can make an informed decision about whether they trust this unproven technology.

We now break from our regular programming. This just up on FOX:

"GOP pushing to save millions of Americans BOOTED BY OBAMACARE"

LOL

Obamacare will prove to be one of the most popular policies in history, and the GOP, ever on the wrong side of same, well knows it. Single payer, the inevitable end game here, will be even more popular.

I buy 'em! Not as good as Big Man Farmz eggs perhaps, but they still make a nice omelette.

Sustainability is often omitted from arguments lauding the wonders of today's factory farming. It's all about the top soil, water table, and oceans (runoff) here, and climate change (oil use) here, and factory farming doesn't make for a bright future in any one of these areas.

Sure, I can bore my car out and make it go really, really fast...right up until it bursts into flame and I have no car anymore.

Actually, my car threatens to do that even when parked.

Edited by tvashtarkatena