sport climbing and erosion

OlegV

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they promised to have artificial gardens on Mars.

What do you really think is cooler, a couple of fucking potatoes, or a nuclear-powered autonomous robot the size of a SUV that's armed with a laser capable of vaporizing rocks, and WITH ITS OWN TWITTER FEED?

Because oh right, the second one.

Appolo.jpg

Why the hell Americans and Russians stopped getting high together? When I was growing up, religiously collecting these stamps, they promised to have artificial gardens on Mars.

BTW, I have this stamp!

That's really cool. I was 14 when the rendezvous took place and it was the most excitement I'd had since Apollo 13 blew a tank a few years earlier. I hate to say it, but the geopolitical world was a much more understandable place back in the days when you and I lived on the brink of a nuclear holocaust.

Appolo.jpg

Why the hell Americans and Russians stopped getting high together? When I was growing up, religiously collecting these stamps, they promised to have artificial gardens on Mars.

BTW, I have this stamp!

That's really cool. I was 14 when the rendezvous took place and it was the most excitement I'd had since Apollo 13 blew a tank a few years earlier. I hate to say it, but the geopolitical world was a much more understandable place back in the days when you and I lived on the brink of a nuclear holocaust.

I was in my early teens as well when humans started acting like a single species...just for a brief moment. I kind off spaced out not realizing the cold war was on. What helped me stay ignorant, reading books like this:

Alenxander Beliaev "Star Katc" written in the 50s! This guy looks like a superman!!!

Zvezda_Cac.jpg

I had the required Apollo models - Command module and LEM. One day my little brother just came over and smashed it. He came pretty close to not getting any older.

I watched Neil Armstrong do his thing like everybody else, but strangely, I have no memories of Apollo 13. The movie was the first time I think I was even aware the near disaster had happened.

I will say that I prefer the new world, however uncertain. I just read an article about how a B52 broke up mid flight over N Carolina in 1961. It dropped its payload of 2 Mark 39 2+ megaton thermonukes over N. Carolina. On bomb thought it was a live fire exercise - 3 of its 4 fail safe switches didn't fail safe - the last one, a single low voltage switch, prevented detonation.

No thanks.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

At some level, I think the Soviet leadership knew Kennedy was one crazy fucker - and they were right. The guy was a big ole nuclear bag of really shitty judgement - save nailing MM, perhaps.

My view of the Soviets hailed primarily from Catholic school. The only thing I remember was a textbook image of some big bad communist with his mean people face on pointing at a blackboard in front of a crying schoolgirl that read "There is no God!"

Little did I know those mean old commies were actually trying to do me a favor.

The Catholics are largely out of the anti-communist business, but heavily into the anti choice, contraception, and death with dignity business. They own 20% of hospital beds nationwide, and a whopping 45% in WA.

Need family planning or end of life services? Take it on down the road, pal. Live in a rural community with no other option? Suck on this Hail Mary.

This is a particularly tough nut to crack, because tax exempt status gives the Papists a huge bidness advantage - hence their successful plan of gobbling up every secular health care facility they can find. What is really needed is to eliminate religious tax exemption (an obvious violation of the 1st Amendment, but whatev). Not so easy, and neither are the more realistic options to beat this thing back into the unholy Sacristie from which it came. Tough fight.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

As you know, I'm not a big fan of the Catholics or the commies. My opinion of the latter was trying to reconcile the writings of Alexander Solzhenitsyn and maniacal commie behavior in places like Hue and Phnom Penh with the largely favorable portrayal they received right here in Doctor Zhivago. I do remember following Apollo 13 though--just like the rest of the space program. As for the Apollo-Soyuz, wasn't there initially some kind of dispute over which side was going to have the "male" appendage in the docking mechanism? :cool:

Pasternak had nothing to do with the directors choice there, but it seemed like the message was that Laras spirit lived on thru her daughter. more personal than political IMO. Pasternaks was,after all, a love story, and this was the final punctuation to K's redemption as a result of that love.

Plus, the sweeping shot of the dam made a fine segue for the musical score.

Edited by tvashtarkatena