sport climbing and erosion

OlegV

Plenty of bad laws out there but the grownup solution is not to just ignore them and do whatever you want because you think you've got it all figured out. Smith Rock burnt to the ground back in 96 from a few sparks. Would be nice to avoid that again. The fire ban isn't there to make people's lives miserable, and it's not really too much to ask.

Also comparing the 80s drug war to smoking at Smith is pretty f'ing humorous.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) As I stated, I don't know if the OR legislature gave Smith the power to ban smoking or not, it may have, so that's fine. If not, that's probably not fine. As for whether folks should be allowed to smoke at Smith - that hasn't been at issue in this discussion. If the proper entities use their LEGAL authority to do so, personally, I couldn't care less either way.

2) Relax. This is spray, where the ridiculous and the important intermingle on occasion. No one is conflating Smith with the Drug War in terms of impact - duh. They share underlying principles, however. and that is relevant to the discussion. That government often does not respect the rule of law while, at the same time, demanding compete obedience to same is a point well worth considering. That the government often passes unjust, counterproductive, or overly restrictive laws is another.

If you'd care to address the points I've actually made, that'd be cool. Anything beyond that is all you, my brother.

BTW, there is no '80s Drug War'. There is only the Nixon administration to present, and Bigger and Badder than Ever Before Drug War. The seeds of this war were planted long, long before that. Jesus - are there still folks out there who really believe the Drug War was a come and gone Reagan thing? Holy shitboxes.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Plenty of bad laws out there but the grownup solution is not to just ignore them and do whatever you want...

actually, that's the southern solution :)

i'm no slave to the law and can't see why anyone would want to be - i wouldn't start a fire on the groudn in the park, nor use fuel i found on the ground there - hauling my own 3 logs from portland then lugging them 300 feet up into the air where there's not but rocks for sparks to settle on though...

and yes, for the n'th time, doing a tr was raytarded, which is why i didn't do one :)

Yes, ignoring a bad law is, actually, a tried and true way to eventually get rid of it.

Sometimes whole states officially ignore a bad law. Toke, anyone?

I mean, how else do you think bad shit gets changed, exactly?

"We ask the nice federal government if they'd plaase change that bad, bad pot law."

This is America, dood. Put yer fuckin' dukes up! I 502 was one big FUCK YOU to both the WA legislature for its inaction and the Feds lack of just about everything except guns and prisons. You gotta fight...for the right....

Edited by tvashtarkatena

What the fuck did I do, people?

To Do List

• Break clearly written rules
  • Take pictures of rule breaking
  • Write story to describe rule breaking
  • Post pictures and story on a public website where people who enforce rules can read all about it

The sum is greater than individual elements

More accurately, it's not clear to you...it is to just about everyone in the business, advocacy, political, or criminal justice. The AG has now officially agreed with my assertion, so you'll forgive me if I'm not terribly concerned about your carping sans counterpoint. I've grown used to that from you.

As usual, you've failed to miss the point as you're too busy trying to impress us with your vast grasp of liberal talking points.

As El Comandante pointed out, comparing Smith Rock's bureaucratic user regulations to the shortcomings of our criminal justice system is extremely attenuated at best.

Pete, I like you, but you bicker for the sake of bickering and rarely take the risk of adding substantively to any discussion. You don't bother to read my posts before commenting on them (if you had, you'd realize I just made the very same point you did) You've become boring and predictable, but I sense you could offer a lot more with your smarts and sense of humor. It would be cool to see more of you and less of the tit for tat. Hell, we could even go on a trip sometime together. In a brave new world where FW and Tvash agree on something, this one seems easy.

I love ya lots and hate ya little.

For the record, I never fail to enjoy The Commander's posts. He's actually one of my faves.

Just sayin...

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Did anyone notice that the past two climbing area controversies were apparently Russian affairs?

First the spray painted climbs up at Leavenworth, and now this. Must be a cultural thing.

If you guys could stop doing this stuff, it would be great, mmmmkay?

To avoid generalization, we need to grant Ivan red passport and take away my US passport first.

I will make sure the cliffs are free of dust if you restrain your lovely kids from shopping in the local gunshops...

Edited by OlegV

There was this kid named Rudy Campodonica in High School who had a substantial learning disability. Poor kid got caught by some jocks in the locker room shower chocking it, and from then on he was known as Rudy Campobeatica.

Now, every time I hear the name Rudy....

whatever, Pat O' Butterball...

Did anyone notice that the past two climbing area controversies were apparently Russian affairs?

First the spray painted climbs up at Leavenworth, and now this. Must be a cultural thing.

If you guys could stop doing this stuff, it would be great, mmmmkay?

To avoid generalization, we need to grant Ivan red passport and take away my US passport first.

I will make sure the cliffs are free of dust if you restrain your lovely kids from shopping in the local gunshops...

DAMN...