Crystal Mountain

Toast

snaf.gif

My conclusions is this don't go up lift areas where it is skied out within an hour. Backcountry is the way to go. Go where others haven't gone before!!!!

I can get about the same vert in an hour on the hill than you'll get all day in the b/c. Especially if you are breaking trail. laugh.gif

That said I love the b/c too! It is the soul of the sport.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday:

Very foggy. Early season conditions like one would expect in November. Very light coverage, especially on the upper mountain.

What snow is there is in good shape. There's enough snow to have fun in, but I'd say not worth the $$ (it's full price now), and do NOT bring your good skis.

huh? i went today and it was freakin' awesome! i brought a friend who paid full price and he said it was definitely worth it. okay, there *are* some rocks but the "very light coverage" is limited to a few areas which are avoidable if you pay attention to where you're going. i don't care about a few rocks here and there. mountains are made of rocks. if you're careful enough you can run over the damned things and hit 'em without taking core shots. my skis are for skiing on; not looking pretty when they're upside down. best run of the day: avalanche gully - DREAMY powder through there. plenty enough nice soft powder on snorting elk and out beyond that area as well.

it won't be as good tomorrow unless there are freshies. moguls are starting to form everywhere.

you trying to knock my skiing, alpinek? i'd go head to head with you any day. i know a lot of people who have been skiing a LOT longer than me, but not only can they not keep up with me or go where i go; they've actually skiied *far* fewer days in their lifetime than i have. you seem to think i'm the only one who went up there and had a ball - i guarantee you that you are sadly mistaken. some people are just sissy skiers. if you only like to ski on 2-foot fresh powder days, i feel sorry for you. for all care, feel free to stay at home and spray about how miserable the conditions must be ... less people i have to worry about getting in my way and tracking up the slopes. tongue.gif

We did this same tour on Sunday. We went straight up the face of Norse Peak and did a little bootin as well. It was a long way up but the skiing down was the best powder skiing and tree skiing I have done in a long time. Sun was out and the view is spectacular and snow was well consolidated. That is what I wanted for Christmas.

Aw, heck, you guys, why not forget who's the better skier and just get out there and have some FUN....hopefully with a little better coverage than I had last Saturday. We had a great time given the conditions, but we did have a kid in tow so didn't get up in the upper bowls, and maybe the coverage was better up top. The Campbell bowl looked OK on the left side as you look at it from the top of Chair 9, but the chutes closer to the chair looked abysmal. I was on rental skis and still didn't want to dodge all of those rocks! Same with the upper bowls on the front side.

In any case, I've seen hundreds of better ski days in terms of coverage and quality over a few-odd seasons of skiing.

in your dreams, allison.

why does everyone suddenly want to kick my ass on the slopes? because i'm having fun skiing and they're not??? the challenge to alpinek was a rib he brought on by complaining about shitty conditions via armchair. i have no interest in proving i'm a better skier than anybody. i could care less. i know i'm not the best skier in the world. but i think i'm a fairly good one ... and what's more, i enjoy spending time on the slopes so much that i can enjoy myself in just about any conditions.

all i wanna say is stop complaining 'cause if you're not having fun, it's most likely your own damned fault!

No one here is complaining.

You are a big talker re your skiing ability, and people are going to react to it.

As for whether or not I could kick your ass on the slopes, well, I don't like to be a big talker myself, but you could count on getting lessons from me. If I haven't become a rock-solid skier in 31 seasons on snow, well, I'll eat my hat.