Crystal Mountain

Toast

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define awesome.

High Campbell isn't open, North and South Back are closed. In addition there are a lot of boulder fields that the runs are on, so you need a big base before you can stop worrying about core shots. Also they don't lower lift ticket prices unless they are hurting.

It doesn't sound like it could be that awesome unless you don't ski anything harder than blue squares.

i said "awesome enough" ... and i define awesome by whether i had a good time. and i did. base levels shouldn't be your determining factor, alpinek. smirk.gif i've had worse ski days and skiied in far poorer conditions with way more snow.

AND ... there's nothing wrong with skiing blues. just like there's nothing wrong with climbing moderates. it's all in your head and your legs, dude - you can ski a diamond line on a green run if you try. and even with the limited terrain they had open on tuesday, there was plenty of good stuff with good coverage to keep an expert washington skier happy.

get off your ass and get out on a slope. i didn't hear anybody up there complaining. wink.gif

Eddie,

Keep your eyes peeled for me. I'll be in black from head to toe, as per usual, probably wearing pink sunglasses, and with an exceptionally good-looking man in tow. wink.gif

We'll probably both be on the bunny hill by lunch from being out of shape and trying to ski the steep stuff on the first day up this season. hahaha.gif

Okay, so I'm a snowboarder who wishes he was a bad-ass tele skier...(Flame suit? Check! Ok here we go). Anyone hear any pros/cons on the various split snowboards out there? I've been checking out the voiles, and they look pretty sweet, but havn't had a chance to see the Burtons up close and personal. I'm getting really sick of the snowshoe-change-snowboard-change-snowshoes-curse-change-curse-snowboard...

gambit on b/c trips.

I know, I know, I know... Why not just telemark? Because it mangled my left knee and don't want a repeat of that experience.

Well on December 17th Tuesday was my 31st birthday and I had to take a day off work. I decided to head up Crystal Mountain area and with the rain and cloudy weather on the way I had my doubts about going. I plan to do some backcountry skiing around Norse Peak area just east of the ski lifts. When I got there there was about 2 inches fresh snow at the parking lot and it was snowing pretty hard. Going to the backcountry solo I wonder if it was safe. Headed up to Bullion Basin with pretty good coverage and breaking trail all the way there with good base and about a foot of powder I knew I made a great choice coming here. Little concern with avalanche conditions I stayed in the trees climbing out of Bullion Basin and up the steep face of Norse Peak. I reached the summit around noon and it was still snowing but the weather was improving. I was amazed how well the coverage was. about 4 feet at its deepest. I took one run down eastside of Norse peak and it was a dream. About a foot of untouched powder snow. I was the only one there and didn't see anyone the whole day. There was no other people's tracks and didn't think I would see any when I headed out my own tracks was already almost buried with the snow coming in. Climbing out of the eastside basin I headed back up Norse Peak and then I took a run down Norse Peak and the run down was even better especially in the trees were wind protected snow was so soft and powdery. Again the coverage was great and never hit any rocks. I had to take another climbed back up Norse peak to ski it again before heading out.

My conclusions is this don't go up lift areas where it is skied out within an hour. Backcountry is the way to go. Go where others haven't gone before!!!! There is suppose to be high pressure building this weekend and Saturday is going to be sunny. GO UP THERE AND SKI!!!!! evils3d.gif