[TR] Yosemite - Sunkist 9/18/2013

keenwesh

Trip: Yosemite - Sunkist

Date: 9/18/2013

Trip Report:

Just got back from a month in the ditch, managed to get up Sunkist while I was down there, along with several other climbs where I didn't bring my camera along.

Here are some pics!

The SK headwall is way up there

DSCN0006.JPG

Lambone on Mammoth

DSCN00101.JPG

Sunshade on Mammoth

DSCN00172.JPG

We replaced/added 7 belay bolts, pulling most of the old randomly placed crap. This is pitch 10, which before was one good bolt that I equalized with a offset and #3 pecker way off to the right. Now it's two bomber and logically placed 3/8's

DSCN0047.JPG

Midway through P12, beaking up a seam to a rivet ladder that deposits you at the base of the headwall.

DSCN0055.JPG

Not a bad place to wake up in!

DSCN00641.JPG

Lambone leading the first headwall pitch, mostly shitty rivets and some beaking

DSCN0066.JPG

Under the fly, trying to keep moral high. Mid-storm on the headwall

DSCN0075.JPG

It was nasty outside, Some guys on heart had a full on raging creek flowing about a foot away from their portaledge. They bailed the next day.

DSCN0080.JPG

Lambone cleaning the all time aid crack, P14. 165 feet of overhanging splitterness, 2500 feet off the deck

DSCN0090.JPG

Incredible place. Also, sorry dad, I borrowed your socks...

DSCN0096.JPG

Lambone on the crux, P15

DSCN0111.JPG

On top of the A5 arch

DSCN0116.JPG

Cheesin' at the top of the A5 arch, our last bivi

DSCN0119.JPG

Day 7 and still fired up

DSCN01411.JPG

Sunset topout

DSCN0156.JPG

Gear Notes:

http://www.yosemitebigwall.com/sunkist

I told Erik what we used, so the gear list is up to date. As for big cams two new BD #5's and a single #6 were perfect for the chimney/OW pitch. No 8"-12" piece needed

Approach Notes:

Walk for 20 minutes, suffer for a day or two while hauling to Mammoth.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shout out to Erik Sloan and Rodger Putnam, these two dudes are putting together a comprehensive yosemite big wall guidebook that should come out this winter in time for next spring's wall season. They're also putting up all the topos as PDF's on their website http://www.yosemitebigwall.com/

If you have any yosemite aspirations pick up the guidebook, it should be incredible judging by the amount of work they're putting into it.

Also, shout out to Greg Barnes at the ASCA who sent me bolts and bits for updating the belays. Donate if you can and give him a shout if you're planning on going up a lesser traveled El Cap route.

Mark Hudon lent me some tuning forks, it's terrifying how easy old quarter inchers come out!