Hood in October 2013

vinzanto

Hello everyone. I am generally heading toward Government Camp to see about an October Mt. Hood summit. I am looking for suggested departure times, typical October conditions, and solid information regarding an early fall summit run. This area has been getting 1-2 inches of snow per day and am wondering if I am totally nuts or just partially nuts for wanting to make a go at it. I've dug and dug but have found little information on October Hood climbing. It sounds to me like ice and rock fall are the biggest concerns but I could see that in the waining summer days but the conditions seem to be improving as the days go on.

Thanks for the info everyone!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed Cooper's Spur one October. Fine conditions as it had snowed just enough to freeze everything into place. I left around 4am topped around noon and back at the car around 4pm. Mind you I did not descend the spur but came down the SS and walked back around.

Conditions on the hill were very firm and icy. New snow can make conditions tricky as the snow may be just firm enough to walk on but you could be skating on the ice underneath very quickly. So perhaps the biggest issue would to have good cramponing technique along with the ability to self arrest.