Widest lightest boot

Eric K

I would like to upgrade my Bd methods and get something lighter this year. I would really like to be under 1500 gram per boot. But I need a really wide toe box and most light boots fit real narrow. My first thought was to get a TLT 5 and see if a boot fitter can punch it out enough to make me happy. Do you have any other suggestions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a lot of reading on the TLT5 and 6 in hopes of getting one of those to fit my foot. I'm coming out of BD Primes that fit my foot well with just a heat molded stock liner. What I've read and learned from talking to a few boot fitters is that the ball of the foot is the hardest spot to change on the TLT5 and that the 6 should be better because it lost the walking hinge. Both boots are thin grilamid but a good boot fitter should be able to work with either. Wildsnow has a write up about a neat trick for heating the toe of the TLT5 and then clamping it with a tennis ball inside to squish the toe down and a bit wider.

The sportiva's are supposed to be wider but i haven't tried them on.

I ended up with a scarpa maestrali a shell size up from what i "should be wearing" by length and what I wore in the old Spirits (which had a very wide boxy shell).

I bought them because I found them in the bargin basement but it worked out really for a long day boot well as it fits my fat ankles and mid foot well but has room in the toes. I can spend twelve hours in my ski boots and not have my toenails try to kill me.

It might be worth trying this approach with the maestrali or a lighter boot with similarly narrow fit if you are looking for an all day comfort fit and your feet are fat all around.