Help with new skis

jordansahls

Well, I finally have some disposable income and I'm attempting to navigate the smorgasbord of different skis. As a formerly poor college student I have only ever used the black diamond Nunyo skis, which I'm told suck. I need an all mountain ski that can handle side hilling and crud but also has a little bit extra underfoot for those nice powder days. I do a lot of multi day back country trips so weight is a concern. I have been looking at the K2 Waybacks and Coombacks, the Dynastar cham 87 and 97 high mountain series, Salomon BBR, G3 Tonic and Black Diamond Warrant and revert skis.

I know that it's impossible to get a one-size-fits-all ski but I'm hoping to get close. Just for reference, I'm used to taking my Nunyo skis on everything from week long tours to big powder days. At this point, I think anything is going to be an improvement. I really just want a ski that can handle mank and powder but also has a tighter turning radius for narrow couloirs and choke points, oh, and ideally it wont be over 8lbs. That said, I dont mind a slightly heavier ski, especially if it performs well. In fact I'm looking to play around with a little heavier set up, at least within reason.

What have been your experiences? What skis do you really love to take out on both longer tours and powdery days? I'm all ears!

Edited by jordansahls

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been skiing the Coombacks for two years now on tele set up. I like them a lot. They are pretty versatile and excell in the powder and deep crud. Not so hot on the packed, but then again, what are you doing sking in-area anyway?

I've used them for backcountry out of the Wallowa huts, so long day-touring for four days in a row - great for that. I find them too heavy and fat for spring skiing so I just switch to my old BD crossbows and lighter old boots for the non-pow season.

I was going to do the trans-Sierra this year but lack of snow intervened - and I was leary of the weight of my setup so picked up a pair of BD Aspects - have had them out only one powder day and they were more flexible than the Coombacks, could bite a bit more in the packed, and it seemed I could get them around faster. That's my take - good luck.