• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
cneum

DIY pulk ideas

I currently have a 4.5 yr old and a 9 month old, but only one pulk for the upcoming XC ski season. Our current pulk is a Kindershuttle which is great, but I don't really have the money to shell out for another one of those plus I am not sure I could get two to fit in my Outback. So I was thinking of making one. There are plans out there to convert an "Expedition Sled" from Paris Company into a gear pulk, but does anyone have advice for putting some kind of seat into that for a 4.5 year old? The Kindershuttle has a rather customized seat that looks hard to replicate at home. Would a Thermarest seat work? Anyone tried something else?

The other alternative is to convert an old jogging stroller to a pulk by removing the two back wheels and attaching skis, then remove the front wheel and attach poles there. My concern is that the poles will then pull from essentially a single front point (versus to the two front corners of a rectangular sled) and I wonder if this will be unstable. Thoughts? We mostly ski the blue loop at Cabin Creek (at a very slow pace), so there are a couple of downhills for which a relatively stable setup would be preferred.

Or anyone have a used Kindershuttle they want to sell? :)