Mt. Rainier Park Could Grow

allthumbs

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, $2 million is cheap for that type of land. Factor in the timber value and I gurantee it is over $2 million with old growth there. Also, with the sprawl of Seattle and Tacoma, who knows what developer might be able to get a zone change 10-20 years down the road. Then that property would be worth $20-$30 million with 500 2-acre ranchettes on the banks of the Carbon! Working as a director of a land trust, we rarely see properties come across our desks like this, and if we do, are usually out bidded by Weyerhaueser and the likes.

Sounds amazing. Also, these dollars are federally appropriated and do not have any effect on the National Park fees increase. This comes from the Dept. of Interior not having enough money in the budget for all parks across the US. Kind of like admitance into Teton-Yellowstone doubled from $10 to $20 overnight 4 years ago. It's called inflation. We get so fixed on what something is worth or what we paid for something in the past that we do not realize that it costs more to keep these places running so that we can continue to enjoy them. I have no problem paying the increased costs, b/c most of my experiences up there or on any mountain are priceless anyways. My two cents.

I'm fairly sure that the rate of inflation has been less than an aggregate 100% since the climbing fee was first implemented.

I was just kidding about those proceeds being used to buy land, but I do want to make the point that they are talking about using the increased revenue to expand services, not maintain the status quo.

I'd rather see the millions spent on 1000 acres of old-growth than a lot of other things.

Looks like a good idea to me, though I wonder what "new public facilities" are part of the plan.

Golf Course and driving range, Cascades Wildlife Petting Zoo, McDonalds, The "Timber Experience Project" - complete with interactive fell your own old growth exhibit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As Parkland/Spanaway is a decidedly different environment than an old growth forest, I propose making it an entirely new park rather than adding it on to Mt. Rainier.

Visitors could experience "thug life" and getting their hubcaps removed while sitting at a traffic light. Sleazy roadside crackhouses could replace campgrounds. Recreational activities include running, (for your life boxing_smiley.gif) enjoying the flora and fauna, (mostly crystal meth and an indigenous weed) and rock climbing at the greatest outdoor crag in our state, Spire Rock! Just don't grab the holds covered in urine at the base.

Wildlife includes low flying C-130's, and an enumerable number of lowered honda civics and the "real" Slim Shady's. pitty.gif

The park would maintain itself, being that it will alway's be perpetually spiraling into the depths of hell, and is already overcrowded. This negates any access fees or permits! cool.gif