Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber


      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  

Lost Rope Muir Hut 9/13-14

Recommended Posts

I'll start this off by saying I left my rope at Muir on 9/13-14. If anyone picked it up, I'll buy you a beer or pay for shipping if it's far away. Send me an email at brianwthomas(@)g mail (dot) com


I had planned a single push up Rainier with a friend. I left work around 3pm, got home around 3:30, finished packing my gear and left the house at 4:45pm. Got to Paradise around 8:20 and left the lot around 8:35. On the way up, I felt really slow, then I realized having had Mexican food the night before and and only sleeping 5 hours. This could be the problem. I reached pebble creek at about 1:08 minutes into the climb with out my friend in sight (we were gonna meet up on the snowfield). I ate, drank and relaxed there for about 15 minutes. I put my shirt back on, and my jacket over me and headed up the snowfield.


From there up I seemed to be moving at a crawl. The upper snowfield provided some challenge w/o crampons, but was at the level where it seemed it would be a waste to put them on for a few hundred feet that you needed them, or to continue w/o them and have that little struggle. I made Muir at 3:50 from my start point. I got there, felt like crap from the lack of sleep, and the stomach issues I was having all day.


Decided to sleep in the hut while my buddy tagged along with another rope team and made the summit.


Overall, it was a fun trip, learned a bit about myself on the way up in the middle of the night by myself w/o another person in sight. My overall fun-meter on this trip was low due to the stomach issues and lack of sleep. Though I do think I could do it in a single push with a bit more training and a good night rest the day before. I think for this season I'm done with my climbs and may end up trying a ski from summit next season.


Until next time.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this