Washington Climber Weather Forecast Weather Matrix

Steph_Abegg

9715384385_1a25ec72af_m.jpg

My friends Luca and Ephrat have created a wonderful mountain weather matrix which shows the 5-day NOAA point forecast for various locations in the US. As they are Californians, they mostly have CA locations, HERE. Since I cannot run .php on googlesites, they have generously created a PNW-oriented version, for which I provided the data points for various climbing locations in Washington. This is very handy for seeing multiple weather forecasts all at once to help choose the weekend climbing destination. Gone are the days of obsessive refreshing of a slew of NOAA point forecast tabs!

Click HERE to go to the Washington Climber Weather Forecast weather matrix!

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. Looks like the alpine.

Maybe another page for rock climbers w Ltown, Dtown, North Bend, Index, Erie, New Halem, WA Pass, Smiff, Trout?

I've got "cragging" locations which include Leavenworth, Index, Erie, and WA Pass (among others). Check the dropdown box for other locations.

While I have written the code for the page, I have to pass it off to Luca and Ephrat to have it posted. So if anyone has any requests for areas they would like included in the dropdown categories, please let me know in this thread. Then once I accumulate a few more areas of interest I can write the code and pass it off for inclusion all at once. Thanks!

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Steph this is fantastic. Its not the end-all, but its a great launching point to answer the question, "Where do I want to go this weekend?" It addresses my weather bookmarks organized in exactly this fashion, and is so much easier to visually sort through. I'm definetely going to be sharing it on my FB pages.

I would like to see the "Today" "Tomorrow" be replaced with the actual days of the week, and the day/month included. And I think the dropdown menu needs to be more prominently indicated - I almost missed it until you mentioned it in an earlier answer.

Thanks again - I'd be stoked to test out a beta app.

This kicks ass. But what aboot Canada, eh?

-Squamish

-Marble Canyon

-Skaha

-Bugaboos

-Rogers Pass

etc.

Maybe more people would get off the chesterfield and have some Molson/poutine powered adventures.

I agree, including Canada locations would be sweet. Unfortunately the site is based on drawing data from the NOAA website, which does not contain Canadian point forecasts. Someday maybe!

A general forecast is great, but I like to see percent precip and freezing levels. Still, a cool idea.

Yeah, there's certainly a lot of potential for various details that could be included. For me, I kind of like the simplicity of it, and being able to just get a general visual of where it is looking good to go, and then clicking on the actual link to get the more detailed NOAA forecast.

I suppose there could be various toggle options for how much detail you want shown on the matrix, but at the moment that is beyond my .php coding knowledge, and I'm not sure Ephrat and Luca have the time to make it too complicated. We can leave that for their eventual app!

Edited by Steph_Abegg

Hey everyone! Ephrat here (the one who put the weather matrix together for Steph). Really appreciate all the feedback you've been sending. I'm planning to build out a customizable (and mobile friendly) version of this as a side project, so if you have any ideas / improvements / feature requests I'd love to hear it!

Ah, interesting idea! I'll definitely look into it. Yeah, Luca and I hacked this together because we were sick of the weekly guess and check game :) I'm thinking of adding a map to the bottom of the page so that it's easier to understand the layout of the different data points.

Thanks you for the work on this, its great to see all the forecast in one place to see where to chase the sun!

For those looking for an immediate mobile solution to look at NOAA forecasts try Unofficial NOAA for Android.

It pulls the daily forecast, hourly data, discussion, and radar (not the best, but it works) into a fairly easy interface.

You can save any location you select on the map so you can pick anywhere for a localized forecast.

Demo video from the Google Play page:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH1ZNIQGIr4

I'm unsure what apps are available for iPhone, I'm sure there's got to be a similar app.