[TR] Whine Spire - Gato Negro (IV, 5.10+, 12p) 9/3/2013

Tom_Sjolseth

Trip: Whine Spire - Gato Negro (IV, 5.10+, 12p)

Date: 9/3/2013

Trip Report:

Wayne, Lane, Daniel and I climbed Gato Negro on Whine Spire this weekend after failing last year due to weather.

I'll skip the details since there have been several TRs in the past on this route. I will say that the climbing is excellent and the route is engaging the whole way through.. all on great rock with only a couple areas of kitty litter.

We climbed as two teams of two (Wayne/Lane, Daniel/Myself).. Daniel and I took the left start, while Wayne and Lane took the right start. I believe the left start is the way to go. Wayne led the crux double overhanging corners, while Lane tailed two ropes and brought both Daniel and I up. Other than that, we remained two separate teams of two for the remainder of the climb.

I did not find the descent gully to be too bad. It took us a little over an hour to get back to camp from the end of the climb -- 12 hours camp to camp for Daniel and I, about 9.5 hours for Wayne and Lane.

Overall, this is a fun route with quick access. Highly recommended!

Wayne and Daniel both took photos, but here are mine:

IMG_5110_resize.JPG

IMG_5112_resize.JPG

IMG_5113_resize.JPG

IMG_5116_resize.JPG

IMG_5119_resize.JPG

IMG_5122_resize.JPG

IMG_5125_resize.JPG

IMG_5126_resize.JPG

IMG_5127_resize.JPG

IMG_5128_resize.JPG

IMG_5131_resize.JPG

IMG_5133_resize.JPG

IMG_5135_resize.JPG

IMG_5136_resize.JPG

IMG_5138_resize.JPG

IMG_5140_resize.JPG

Gear Notes:

Doubles to #2, singles #3-5

Approach Notes:

Quick and easy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was quite the capper to a busy season! I've spent a good bit of time this evening going thru all the TRs from your summer and WOW, so many outstanding trips/images in just one alpine season.

I'm glad you are enjoying the freedom, I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. The trip with your dad was certainly inspirational for me, having just spent the long weekend hiking with my boys at <1 mile per hour!