Chris Greyell

SuperSparky

Possibly the most spirited and enthusiastic person I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Listening to him talk about Darrington with such passion caused my blood to race with adrenaline. I think he thrived on watching others share his stoke, not only evident during his annual slide show parties but every single time he set foot to trail and stone. Always with a big smile and a great mustache :{)

Darrington seemed to be his heaven on earth. His connection with that place was something spiritual and his energy will continue to thrive among the giant cedars and granite walls he introduced to so many of us. Thank you for being a friend, mentor, and kind hearted family man Chris. We will miss you dearly.

DSCF1940.JPG

Getting his Fiber

DSCF2179.JPG

Chris with Darryl K. early days of Excaliber

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just awful. I am terribly saddened by this. My condolences to Chris's family.

He was a great guy and such super routes out in Squire Creek. I ran into Chris a number of times on the trail, always pumped up and ready to go. He was usually hiking twice as fast though, always on the move and ready for more rock. He will sorely be missed. :(

I use this picture every year of Chris Greyell climbing super crack with Dave Whitelaw from 1985 in my opening slide show. I teach high school Photography. The image has more meaning to me now than ever. This year it was with sadness I shared a few stories of my youthful passions to inspire my students. I spoke to my students about Chris's life long passion for climbing and my trouble imagining him gone. Here is too you Chris...CHEERS I raise my PBR to you in the sky.

Scott Waeschlescan0028.jpg

Ho man, what grim news. It was with great pleasure that I met one of my long standing heroes at one of Matt's legendary Christmas parties some years ago, he struck me as such a great guy with so much love for the game. What a reminder that any one of us, no matter how many years we've spent, are just one momentary lapse away from death. I feel really knocked back on my heels by this one.

I didn't know Chris, but from looking at the contentment in his face in all of the pictures, and reading the kind words from all of his friends, I can tell that this guy won at life. Nobody gets to choose the time and circumstance of their departure -- and I'm sure that his feels all too soon and tragic -- but on the other hand it looks like he had a pretty awesome life and judging from the response here, I'd guess that his will leave quite a lasting impact. So, to that extent, I suppose he'll never really be gone. To lead such a life and leave behind such a legacy -- well, that's something.

I hope that doesn't come off as callous or cavalier over the internet from a guy who never even met him, but that's my take anyway and for some reason I felt like I needed to say it.

This weekend I brought an old friend up to climb Skeena26. Jim Daubert and I hiked up on Saturday, and rested by setting up the tent. Our friend Wes arrived and lent us his rack and ropes. Shortly after we blasted up the 12 pitches on that beautiful day, which we greatly enjoyed. Had dinner, got some much needed sleep. Next day while cooking breakfast the stillness was broken by the sound of a helicopter. Wes commented, "That's not a good sign." Then we three jugged up to the high point of the new route, and I finished Pitch 9. Then I started up Pitch 10 and kept going. A beautiful knobby shield, then a cool overlap 2" crack, a couple of vertical crack spots for pro, a ledge for the anchor, and Pitch 10 was in the bag. We returned to civilization to find out that our friend, inspiration, one of the Darrington greats, had died in his beloved valley. Chris Greyell is gone, and our loss is great.

I didn't know Chris, but from looking at the contentment in his face in all of the pictures, and reading the kind words from all of his friends, I can tell that this guy won at life. Nobody gets to choose the time and circumstance of their departure -- and I'm sure that his feels all too soon and tragic -- but on the other hand it looks like he had a pretty awesome life and judging from the response here, I'd guess that his will leave quite a lasting impact. So, to that extent, I suppose he'll never really be gone. To lead such a life and leave behind such a legacy -- well, that's something.

I hope that doesn't come off as callous or cavalier over the internet from a guy who never even met him, but that's my take anyway and for some reason I felt like I needed to say it.

"I hope that doesn't come off as callous or cavalier " - Rob

I don't think it does Rob and what you said, was said well.

Thank you.

Chris and I atop Salish on 8/26/13, The back of the Roan Wall at his finger tip and his beloved Waterfall Basin behind it.

CGandTgSalish.jpg

Chris gettting ready as we started pioneering another new route in the basin 8/10/13

CGgettingready.jpg

Making sure I was motivated 8/10/13

ChrisG-Hammer.jpg

Edited by Tyson.g

Just wanted to let folks know that there is a memorial service for Chris scheduled for Saturday September 21 at Saint Edwards State Park at 3 pm, Orchard Section.

14445 Juanita Drive, Kenmore, WA

Orchard Section, follow the signs

Should be a great time to share stories and memories. Coffee and tea provided, bring a potluck dish if so inclined.

Thanks,

Mark Hanna

Thanks, Mark, for posting the details of Chris' memorial service.

I hope that everyone who reads this will attend.

I have been in some contact with Chris' wife Melanie and his two adult children. They would like all of his friends to attend the memorial service. They would also like to have his friends install a Chris Greyell Memorial Plaque at Martha's Place.

To that end, I am in the process of setting up a bank account through my church. Contributions would be tax deductible. Folks would contribute directly to the fund via old fashioned check or electronic transfer. Whoever wishes to be involved would get some bids from different engravers and present them to Melanie. She would pick out what she wanted, based on her discretion and the budget.

We would have an installation ceremony next Labor Day weekend. Melanie, Carly, and Ashley (his two daughters) would attend. Whoever is interested in participating in this should contact me at the memorial service. Together we can pick something out that we can afford and that Melanie and Chris would like.

I haven't contacted the forest service yet, so perhaps that would be an issue, but I bet we could solve whatever problem the forest service presents to us. I will have the details about how to contribute to the fund at the memorial service Saturday a week from now.

Chris was a rock, an inspiration, and guiding a light. I never felt safer than when I was climbing with Chris in Waterfall Basin. We will all miss him.

I always got a warm feeling in my chest when I spoke to Chris or simply spent time in his presence. Now that he is gone, I feel that presence even more. I truly believe that he continues to watch over us and his family and his beloved valley and, that, somehow, we will see him again when our climbing days on earth are over.

Yale Lewis

cell: 206/769-6612

work: 206/223-0840

Chris worked on access issues related to climbing at Darrington and elsewhere while he served as a board member with the Washington Climbers Coalition for several years. The Greyell family asked us to establish a memorial fund, dedicated to Darrington area climbing access. The WCC is proud to continue this work.

WCC Page re: Greyell Memorial Fund

• 11 months later...

Well-

Its been a year since we lost Chris and I just wanted to take a moment to remember a great friend. His contributions to climbing are significant and his involvement and stoke in the DTown valleys is greatly missed. I took a brief trip to the big boulder in the basin recently, and found it a very peaceful place still.

He had a hand in many of the fine routes listed and many many more I'm sure. Get out there and enjoy- RIP good buddy :brew:

Green Giant Buttress

Urban Bypass

Giant’s Tears

Dreamer

Exfoliation Dome

23rd Psalm

Westward Ho

Dark Rythm

Rainman

Jacobs’ Ladder

Solaris

The Comb