WTB: Gear for Aconcagua

Kathryn

I am looking to buy previously owned-used gear for Aconcagua. In fact I need quite a lot of gear. I will post what I need and what the company is recommending for gear. I do not have to have the specific name brand mentioned, but it is for reference as to what I am looking for. This is only my second climb - the first was Island Peak in Nepal, so I am a newbie.

1. Down Jacket and Insulated Pants - similar to Mountain Hardwear Sub-Zero Parka and Mountain Hardwear Compressor Pants - women's small.

2. Balaclava - one that is lightweight and one that is heavy weight - recommended is Smartwool Balaclava.

3. Expedition Weight Mittens - akin to Marmot Expedition Mitts or The North Face Himalayan Mitts - size women's medium or men's small.

4. Bivvy Boots - something along the lines of RAB Down Expedition Slippers

5. Pastic Climbing Boots women's size 7.5. It is recommended to purchase Asolo AFS8000, Scarpa Inverno or La Sportiva Spantik Books.

6. Down Sleeping bag rated to -25 degrees Celcius or better. They recommend The North Face Inferno -40 or Mountain Heardwear Wraith Sleepin Bag.

7. Ice Axe for someone who is 5'6".

8. Women's Small Climbing Pack that is 65-85 litres.

If you have anything available at a well loved priced, please let me know!

Thanks!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking over that list I would say that the gear recommended is more suited to Denali than Aconcagua. Unless you are person who gets cold easily I would go with slightly lighter weight gear. Especially as it will have more functional use on other trips.

For instance, I never took down pants. I may have taken a down jack but do not remember using it (I would still take one). My sleeping bag was a 0 F bag (if you are cold wear extra clothes). I took one balaclava. I took gloves not mittens. My boots were some of the early soft flex boots. Today, I might take the Scarpa Phantom 6000 cause the liners can be worn as "bivy boots." 99% of the hike/climb is going to be on a rocky trail so the boots they recommend are going to suck cause they lack flex.

BTW get a good pair of trekking poles - you will use them more than an ice axe.

Take the mittens! If it's windy on summit day you will be glad and, after all, unless you go up the S Face or Polish Glacier, there is not a foot of actual climbing.

Any pair of plastic double boots should be fine. Just get em a little big.

Agreed on poles, you will be very psyched with those. Standard routes you don't even need an axe most years.

Edited by Coldfinger

I have a Western Mountaineering Lynx MF for sale. Regular size (up to 6'), left zip in nearly new condition. (Used two nights.)

$450, includes shipping.

I'm located in Bellingham.

This is rated at -10*F, but this is a pretty conservative rating in my experience (it may be just as warm as others rated at -20*F.

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Ian

Edited by woodchips