Non-technical loops near Cascade and Easy Passes?

Stevodevo

Hi folks,

I am going to be in the PNW again (!) in the second half of September, and am wondering about some possible short and non-technical trips (long day or backpack loops to class 3 or possibly 4) in the Cascade Pass and Easy Pass areas.

On Cascade Pass, I'm wondering about Sahale Arm to Boston Basin and possible continuation to Hidden Lakes (?!?), Cascade Pass to Cache Col and Kool Aid Lake. Others? Or are there other shortish 2-4 day trips you all would suggest?

For Easy Pass, wondering about loops in that area. Are there any reasonably non technical loops possible around Fisher Basin, Easy Pass or Silent Lakes? Is a traverse possible to/from Wing Lakes and Maple Pass?

As to level, thinking class 3, and possibly some 4. Willing to carry axe and short 50 foot rope, but would prefer not to take crampons and full length rope (weight/hassle issues). Have experience with x-c travel in (much easier) Oregon Cascades but not in N. Cascades, where I've stayed on trails so far. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stevodevo

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice alpine ramble is to go up Sibley Creek and pass underneath The Triad towards Eldorado, exit the Eldorado climber's trail. You could stay even in the lookout the first night, though that would make day two pretty long. It's definitely fourth class, depending on how you cross the south ridges near The Triad. You'll need crampons.

The Cascade Pass to Boston Basin option is a good one also.

Thanks! Very helpful! I think the Sibley/Triad/Eldorado trip sounds a bit much, but Cascade/Boston sounds great. Crampons for that one, too? Or we may just head up to Easy Pass/Silent Lakes area if it looks like Cascade Pass will be too crowded. Thoughts on that? Thanks again, S

Thoughts: Loops are cool, but so is a base camp, so you can explore light for a day or two. At the areas you mention, you can get to an excellent base camp in a day or less.

+1 on the Triad High Route Kurt mentions. The 4th class part is short, and is often done unroped.

Finally, I was a little underwhelmed with Silent Lakes, particularly after the loose gravelly gully you climb to get there. Fisher Basin is gorgeous and worth it on it's own. That area will have much less traffic than anything around Cascade Pass.

A couple of weeks ago I made a loop from Easy Pass to Silent Lakes, then to Fisher Pass via the south slope of Arriva, then over into the basin below the Douglas Glacier, and from there down to the trail and back to Easy Pass. With a light pack and/or a little determination this is about three days. I took longer, and climbed Arriva, Fisher, and Logan as I passed. I used boots and axe in a couple of places, but the only place I put on crampons was on the Douglas Glacier, which is optional. The whole trip was never more technical than second class, with some bushwacking. I recommend it - it was a lot of fun.