Summit Flags

rodeoclimber

Before heading up the North Ridge of Stuart last weekend, I tried to locate a flag to place on the summit. Couldn't find one but when we made the top on Sat (9/15)there were already three there. I got to wondering how many other summits had also sprouted small memorials to the crap that took place last week. Any siteings?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to beat a dead horse, as with every single posting on this site, but we don't need flags on any summits. I'm proud to be an American and I wear my proud, but do not pollute with it.

And I hope the people who are leaving these flags are not the same people who criticize every bolt or rap sling or chalk mark ever made on rock. Garbage is garbage, but at least bolts serve a purpose in the outdoors.

Thank god its Friday.

Crack Addict: your post suggested that flying an American flag on a vehicle is redneck behaviour. You're wrong.

Erwin: you suggested that a flag left unattended on a summit is garbage. You're wrong as well.

Whoever planted the flags on summits should also take on the responsibility of lowering them and taking them away. It's disrespectful to leave the flag unattended indefinitely, and those who left them behind probably didn't understand the portent of their action. But it is NOT redneck behaviour to fly the flag nor is a flag left on a summit "garbage". If you find a summit flag, I suggest lowering it, folding it, and packing it out. That's all.

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

Erwin: you suggested that a flag left unattended on a summit is garbage. You're wrong as well.

It may not be garbage while it's up, but once the wind blows it down, and tumbles it down into a ravine or snowbank or crevasse someplace, it will in fact turn into garbage.

Yeah, but I'd have to say any man's used toilet paper is every other man's garbage.

Hey, that reminds me, I'm just about finished reading David Roberts book on what REALLY happened on Annapurna w/ Herzog and the boys, and there's something in there where one of the climbers was sick and he reported "I shat myself." I hate it when that happens.