Early Sept. Suggestions for a week of alpine?

bush-in-sky

Hi all,

I'm looking to take the first week of September off to climb for a week. I'm still sorting out partners, but I've been mainly looking at either heading to the Bugs or the Wind River Range, neither of which have I climbed at before. Depending on who I end up climbing with we should be good up to ~5.9 in the alpine.

Anyone with experience at those places have thoughts about which would provide a better all-around experience, in terms of quality of climbing, amount of long routes, feistiness of local goats, etc.? I know those are subjective questions, but while I've lusted over the thought of climbing in the bugs for a while now, I'm a little worried about it being late in the season there and I don't know much about the Wind River as a backup.

Any other places I should consider w/in a day's drive of Seattle? I'm looking at having ~9-10 days with which to play, including travel.

Thanks,

Seth

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bugs may involve shenanigans depending on how the melt has progressed this year. Likely the Winds and Sawtooths would be more of a sure bet, though with less alpine flavor. That said, you could keep yourself busy at all three, the weather might be the best decision maker.

Thanks for the input.

The Cirque of Towers definitely looks appealing, as does the Titcomb basin in the Winds. The Sawtooths look cool, but maybe without quite as many long moderates as I'm hoping for. Agreed on the late season conditions in the Bugs being something to consider. I'll see how the weather shapes up in the next week.

tvash, maybe we'll see you in the Winds. Certainly looks like no shortage of rock.