[TR] Mt St Helens Trifecta!! - Monitor Ridge Route 8/13/2013

Dchromey

Trip: Mt St Helens Trifecta!! - Monitor Ridge Route

Date: 8/13/2013

Trip Report:

image60.jpg

Hey everyone! Got my dad out of the house for once;)

First time being out since January. His first time up St. Helens, and he is the second one in his family to do it (not including me)

This was the first time we had no snow in the trail since July of 2011. Of course we had small glaciers of both sides of us heading on up, but the monitor Ridge was snow free. Made it up in about 4 hours. A lot of boulder scrambling and pumice. Little wind but it was nice up there. We had our binoculars so we were looking up towards Rainier and you could see the sun reflecting off of the windows at camp muir. Crazy! You could not see people but you could see the line in the snow. Poor helpless souls;)

not a lot of people up there on st helens summit. for my third time this year i like this one more. easier but more adventure hoping and climbing over the boulders! I've done Helens 3 times in the last 3 seasons. I need to go in the fall for 4 summits of Helens in the 4 seasons.

bring lots of water/gatorade. 1 hiking pole worked well.....I think 2 would get in the way. Start early it was hot around 11am. We started around 5. Of course it is a permit mountain starting may 15th. Next February go to http://www.mshinstitute.org/ and get your permit.

image61.jpg

Me heading on up!

image64.jpg

Crater rim with Mt. adams in the background

image63.jpg

Looking into the crater, steam coming out as always

image62.jpg

Good old friend back on the summit in heart

image59.jpg

Dad and lad

Gear Notes:

1 hiking pole, Gatorade, I climbed it in tennis shoes. I would not think you would need hiking boots for this.

Approach Notes:

Climbers bivouac @ 3800 ft

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic