Plan for Sahale is out...what else?

jstluise

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To each his (or her) own of course...

Even when soloing, I always carry a rope and some glacier/rescue gear on a climb like this, in case (dog forbid) someone needs help...

d

Yeah you're right, better safe than sorry.

a 30m will suffice for up to 4 on the glacier. pretty light rope to carry up. I'd ditch it at the base of the summit pyramid though

Make sure to stop at the FS station in Sedro Wooley and get your permit. There was a ranger checking them at high camp last month. Wouldn't want to get booted off. No charge. Check their open hours so you don't get stuck.

Isn't a backcountry permit only required for camping within the nat'l park? Or is it some sort of day use wilderness permit? So many passes/permits...all I have is my NW forest pass and figured that would be good for me at the parking lot.

Correct, no permit from RS needed for day trip (you may need to fill out something for day use at the TH though, I forget).

You don't need a rope in the central gully up or down if you are comfortable scrambling 3rd and short bits of 4th class. Can't speak for the glacier condition right now, but I know from a late September jaunt a few years ago that you will be walking over some pretty big cracks, even if they are covered.

And yes, the SE ridge is WAY better than the gully. Think west ridge of North Twin Sister, at 9K, and surrounded by ice and exposure. It doesn't get much better, seriously.

Hi there, have been up the Sulphide a couple times this month and approach is pretty clear trail. Everything's melted out till you gain the ridge just inside park boundary. No need for the permit unless you're sleeping in there, and they usually go the day before on the weekends. We have camped just outside the boundary w no problems sans permit, though going C2C you'll have no issues.

We roped on the glacier, though these were both Mountaineers trips, so to be expected. The gully can be nasty w rockfall if parties are above you, and though I've wanted to, haven't done the ridge yet. Some place light protection. Downclimbing the gully is fine, though definitely some exposed moves. Half of our party chose to rappel last time.

Have fun!

Jason

Hi there, have been up the Sulphide a couple times this month and approach is pretty clear trail. Everything's melted out till you gain the ridge just inside park boundary. No need for the permit unless you're sleeping in there, and they usually go the day before on the weekends. We have camped just outside the boundary w no problems sans permit, though going C2C you'll have no issues.

We roped on the glacier, though these were both Mountaineers trips, so to be expected. The gully can be nasty w rockfall if parties are above you, and though I've wanted to, haven't done the ridge yet. Some place light protection. Downclimbing the gully is fine, though definitely some exposed moves. Half of our party chose to rappel last time.

Have fun!

Jason

Great! Thanks for the beta...Should be a good time!