Best climbs from Stuart Zone in the Enchantments?

cgalitsky

What are the best climbs from the Stuart Zone in the Enchantments? Looking for 2 climbs 5.9-5.11- (ish) reasonable for a medium paced party of 2 in a day from this zone. Solid 5.10/5.11- leaders. Was thinking about GITM - but it seems like everyone approaches from the south? Can you get there from Stuart Lake? Also thinking west face of CBR. Anyone??

Also- don't need snow gear, right? (ice axe, crampons?). Just hiking boots and rock gear?

Thanks! This is my birthday present this year! :)

Christie

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting to GITM from Stuart Lake wouldn't be too bad but I think you'd want at least some l/w crampons to cross Stuart Glacier. You'd probably also be better off camping closer to the peak, like on the Sherpa or Ice Cliff Glacier moraine.

Anything on CBR / Colchuck / D-Tail isn't all that close to Stuart Lake or "the Stuart Zone." Well, far enough anyway that you'd want to base camp closer to Colchuck Lake.

I haven't done GITM yet but from what I understand its still a bit dirty. If you're looking for clean granite, I might consider W Face CBR and Acid Baby or Valkyrie on Enchantment Peak near Asgard Pass. Its not Stuart but logistically a lot easier and close together.