Winter Is Coming

Ben Beckerich

Howdy

Let me preface by saying I'm just plain not up on AT gear.

I got into splitboarding last year and pretty much immediately went to a hard boot.. ended up with the TLT5s and really like them for their weight and versatility. They ride really well, climb great for a plastic, but they're not particularly warm. So for this winter, I'm going to need to change up. I should add that because the TLTs don't fit my feet all that well, I ended up going a FULL size big and wear a thick sock- miraculously, this actually worked.

I have a pro-deal with Scarpa. Love their climbing boots and shoes, but looking at their AT stuff with my relatively noob-eyes, I'm just not really seeing anything that stacks up to the Dynafit boots.

So... What should a guy do?

Get some warmer liners for the TLT5s since I have extra room?

Fap it and get a pair of PX Ones for the winter season?

Or is there something in the Scarpa line that I'm missing/should take a look at?

Thanks

-Ben

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New liners could work for you.

I had some TLT5's last season, sweet boot, but it just didn't fit me right (after taking it to a boot fitter). Ended up swapping them out with some Scarpa Maestrale RS boots. Haven't looked back since.

The Scarpas won't ride nearly as well as the TLT5s, at least without serious mods. They're too stiff in my split experience. That said, I've been riding Scarpas for the last 9 years because I am too cheap to buy new boots! They will work, you just won't be able to get too rad.

I love the intuition pro tour liner in my old scarpa maestrales and wildsnow has an article on using them in the TLT5. Great range of motion thanks to the articulated heal but a nice supportive cuff when the boot is locked up. The laces are nice too for combating heal lift. (I'm skiing not splitboarding).

This years TLT6 is supposed to have a roomier fit and be warmer. Sportiva's two buckle boots look cool too.

Scarpa Maestrale/Rush etc are great but I'm not sure for split boarding. Their two buckle rando race alien may be too minimalist?