What next in Darrington?

chris

So my first - and only - route to date in Darrington has been Dreamer on the Green Giant (which I'm embarrassed to admit I've done three times). I'm going to correct this gross oversight tomorrow, but everything looks SO GOOD. So I'm asking you - what's your favorite Darrington route? If you're favorite is something on the Giant, please tell me your second favorite. I'm trying to go somewhere new!

If you like Dreamer, you're probably going to like most routes up there. If you feel like a shortish trail approach, go check out 3 O'clock Rock. Quality longer routes are Silent Running (9+), Total Soul (10b) and Penny Lane (10c).

If you're up for a more adventurous outing, head up the Granite Sidewalk (sticky footwear!) to Exfo. Good choices there are Blueberry Buttress (8+), Westward Ho (9) or Dark Rhythm (10c).

If you could only do one more Dtown route...ever, I'd go with Total Soul. Have fun Chris and bring lots of H2O!

If you liked Dreamer, I'm assuming you are looking for longer routes and for routes 5.9 or 5.10. For a straight-forward approach and good clean fun, I think Total Soul on Three O'Clock Rock is hard to beat (Silent Running, nearby, is easier and also very good). Exfoliation Dome, with a scrambling approach and a bit more complexity to reach the top and to descend, is well worth a visit. The newer routes left of the West Buttress are all good, getting progressively harder and also including more variety in climbing style as you move from right to left. For more adventure head over to Squire Creek.

By the way: if you leave the car by 7:00 a.m., you can climb the west facing routes on Exfoliation Dome and complete the crux pitches before the sun hits them if you are efficient.

For "The Kone," I think the first two and a half pitches of "Till Broad Daylight" are slightly easier but also more fun. After that, the original Kone route is for sure the way to go.

I'd like to look at a link to "Cornucopia" on the right. I think there is probably a four pitch 5.8 climb, more or less straight up, that could be descended with a single 60mm rope. If anybody wants to explore it, let me know.

I'd like to look at a link to "Cornucopia" on the right. I think there is probably a four pitch 5.8 climb, more or less straight up, that could be descended with a single 60mm rope. If anybody wants to explore it, let me know.

I'm game, I'll email you guys

• 2 weeks later...

The bolts on Broad Daylight are probably OK. I do use the word "probably" but I can tell you that I've been involved in pulling and replacing the first three pitches of the route (these are normally climbed as two), and those bolts are very strong. But they don't instill confidence after climbing on new hardware when, after the third belay, you encounter the old 5/16 buttonheads.

And, I should clarify, that I usually only clip two of those Broad Daylight bolts after leaving the belay that both routes share and then get back on The Kone. There are some though-provoking runouts there, but it is not too crazy if you've done much slab climbing before. If not, you'll pucker up a bit to reach the rappell station on top of what the topo's show as the third pitch of The Kone but it is not too bad because the runout part leading to that rappel station is easy. Rappel from there right back to your pack.

If not, you'll pucker up a bit to reach the rappell station on top of what the topo's show as the third pitch of The Kone but it is not too bad because the runout part leading to that rappel station is easy.

And that was exactly the case for us! :)

It was certainly good climbing - we continued another two pitches, then rapped down the left side of the headwall (Gastro? I forget the name) with a single 70m.

• 10 years later...

Followed JayB up the Kone route yesterday.  Beautiful weather and dry rock provided for an enjoyable day out.  

We received a tip at the trailhead from Jared(?) to take some small cams for the runout sections and were glad we had some. Updated rap route is down the Magic Bus anchors, all newish chains and bolts on climbers left side of the Great Arch. 

Also, there's been a bunch of bear activity along the base of 3 O'clock rock so consider maybe hanging anything left at the base off a bolt out of reach or take everything with you up the climb.

PS, I fumbled my belay device at the top of the last rap so good reminder to practice your Munter. 

Resized_20231001_123955_capture(1).jpeg

Edited by Bronco
  • Like 1
  • Wow!!! 1

Great day out with a perennially great partner. I think we first roped up together as a consequence of meeting on this website back sometime around 2002?!

I feel like we need to have a separate "Off The Couch" thread commemorating the longest interval someone has gone without climbing while still vaguely identifying as a climber. Hopefully the span from 2017 to just a couple of weeks ago will be my personal record. 

I also feel like I could probably burn up all of the remaining climbing time/energy I've got left in me at Darrington. Whenever I've been out there, I almost always feel like it's been too long, no matter how recently I climbed there. 

• Rawk on! 1