Volcanoes right now?

Ben Beckerich

Adams? Hood? South Sister? Looking to cut something up, wondering if anybody has any idea what the slush's looking like... glaciers completely melted out and sun-cupped from hell, or is there still some time yet?

I've never done the South Sister Slog, so that'd be my preference.. but I also suspect it's probably the worst of the three

Thanks

-Ben

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

you can probably do south sis without stepping on snow. There was a report on portlandhikers a few days ago. someone went to the hogsback this past weekend reported could get there without touching snow for the most part/or almost--vast majority of the route. Adams when I skied it over a month ago kept my trail runners on till 10,500ft but on the snow in early morn.

someone just posted a TR up the Adams glacier and said it was nice and should be good for a while. There is a decent 'climb' (if you're putting south sister in the mix) called The Brothers in the Olympics it would be a shorter drive than to south sis. if you want some more challenge go for north sister-south sister is a family hike if you're talking the dog route

Just looking for the ride down, not the climb.. something I can skin up in a short morning and shred back down at lunch. But I've not AT'd this late in the season before, and don't know if there's any shredable snow up there. I did one of my speed runs up Hood about this time last year, and some guys were in the crater doing jumps over the bergschrund- so I know it's possible to get late season turns/carves in, but I'm also sure it's completely conditions dependent.