BD Alpine Bod

iain

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the Doctor didn't read any of the rest of this thread, so sorry if someone else already suggested it, but try some of the thin tubing used for drip irrigation, which is probably available at Home Depot or any place that sells sprinkler shit. It should be much stiffer than the aquarium tubing, and probably cheaper than dirt. You can thank the Doctor later.

bigdrink.gif

In reply to all the people who don't like the Alpine Bod: I used i tas my only harness for years, because it was cheap, and it was the most comfortable!!

I used the tubing and cord loops too. They kinda suck, but the best tip I have is to make sure the cord is really tight, it seems to make the loops stick out a little more. You could maybe do two layers of tube too. Like Something 7mm OD inside something >7mm ID. Dunno, it might work.

I've got the BD Blizzard harness. It's good *shrug*. The waist belt is definitely sized for winter clothing. Mine is a small and I have to crank the buckle all the way down if wearing just a shirt (I have a 30" waist).

I got an Alpine Bod for my lil' bro to use when he came out to visit and I wanted to take him out to the crags. I caught my 200-lb. cousin's fall while wearing it and almost became eligible for a promising career as a castrato.

The the Alpine Bod is reasonably light and easy to put on, but the Blizzard is almost as light, much more comfortable, has gear loops, and is still fully adjustable, so you can put it on without stomping it with your crampons (though maybe not as quickly as with the Bod). The Blizzard also comes with one of those ice clipper things to rack screws on.

I've had a blizzard for about as long as my alpine bod. I prefer the bod for ease of use and speed of donning/doffing. When you are trying to move fast/stay warm those extra minutes spent futzing around with buckles can really suck.

Whilst wearing a pack the hip belt can obscure the gear loops on any harness, which is why the bod did not come with gear loops. Also, cinching down that hip belt can cause those plastic sleeves to dig into your hips. But alpine climbing is all abotu suffering right?