BD Alpine Bod

iain

I have two harnesses. I almost always use a Metolius 3D, but I also have an Alpine Bod I would like to start using more than I do. The problem is the gear loops. I made some from aquarium tubing and thin cord and they suck. They are a pain to clip quickly when they get weighed down by stuff. Any advice on where I can get good bulky rubber tubing or does anyone else have some advice on gear loop construction for this thing?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BD used to make a gear loop kit specifically for the Alpine Bod, but I don't see it anymore and a search came up empty. I would call BD in SLC to see if you can get it directly thru their mail order dept--because it's not on their web site does not necessarily mean they don't have it.

If they don't have it, I have made them myself using the stiffest possible accessory cord, at the largest possible diameter that will fit thru those sewn tabs: 4mm I think. Whatever it is, it's certainly less than 5.5. Then I've gone to my local hardware store and bought tubing with an inner diameter that barely accomodates that 4mm or so cord.

I would think the tubing from a hardware store would be stiffer and more heavy duty than aquarium tubing (but I don't know aquarium tubing), and certainly the combo if you get a stiff accessory cord would allow you to have something that should be easier to clip into. Good luck.

Iain--

I have some extra gear loop tubes from retired/old harnesses that I scavenged when I toosed them. You are welcome to some if you like. I used these with 5mm accessory cord and works fine for me. Let me know if you want them and I can try and bring a few to the pub tomorrow.

My experience is a little different. With a minimum of adjustment this harness is great for what its designed for--alpine climbing. I've even used it for alpine trad climbing with minimal discomfort. You're usually wearing so many layers that the boys are well padded and protected. The adjustable leg loops are so easy to use I never have to remove my crampons to put it on. I can't think of another harness on the market that is this user friendly in the alpine environment.

Its cheap too.

YMMV

"I dont buy harnesses without gear loops. Seems pretty retarded ass from my point of view. "

I'm not really picking an argument with Cavey, but I thought I'd note that this whole discussion seems premised on the assumption that you absolutely have to have gear loops on your harness--no matter what--and I dissagree with that premise. I have a harness like an alpine bod, but it is made with seatbelt webbing and a little thinner. I like it quite a lot for winter climbs or general mountain climbs that are moderately technical and I don't use gear loops on these climbs because my pack belt or coat tails frequently cover the harness and it is inconvenient to rack gear there. Also, I find that ice screws, if hung on gear loops, seriously damage to my Scholler fabric pants -- on the top of the thighs, where they hit the ends of the screws with every step I take. To make matters worse, I have found that if I use black diamond or similar wiregate biners to rack the ice screws, and rack them on my harness, they sometimes unclip themselves at belays if I sit down and I inadvertently leave them behind. On lots of climbs, I find a shoulder sling works just fine for the gear and the hammer holster goes on my pack's waistbelt.

Good points. I dont rack my screws to my gear loops. But others do... I never said you "have to have gear loops" on your harness. fruit.gif But well to already have them and be prepared and being convenient is ok by me. Even if they are not in use they are not that much of a burden.

I still think that Mammut harness is better hahaha.gif

Edited by Cpt.Caveman

You totally right about the Ice Screws. snoboy trashed a pair of Arc'deadbird bibs with his screws racked and i lost 2 screws last yr with stupid biner unclips.

As for the harness covered with pack issue that is one thing it is good to remember when you get a new alpine climbing pack - does the pack cover the gear loops, if so, can i put gear loops on the pack waistbelt. if not guess you are using a shoulder sling or two.

The Alpine Bod is the only harness I have right now and there are things I like and things I hate. I like the adjustability and ability to don on/off w/out removing crampons. Also easier for pissing without taking off or untieing from it. Mattp makes some excellent points. It's a good harness for alpine climbing when you'll be wearing a pack all the time. In that case, bag the gear loops and sew some on your packs waist belt if it doesn't already have them. I'm getting a new harness for ice climbing though, for the reasons I hate this harness. The buckle totally sucks (especially with cold fingers) unless BD has changed it. And even though it's contrary to the concept of "alpine harness", I still wish it had a belay loop. I find it difficult in winter clothes to see what the fuck is going on down there with a couple pearbiners clipped and the rope tied directly into the loop/waistbelt. A belay loop would also help get the rapell device a little further away from my body, improving control and making it more friendly with the leg-loop backup sling thingy.

Anybody used the BD "blizzard" harness. That's what i'm asking Dru, errr i mean Santa for X-mas!

PS: Ian, this should really be in the Gear Critic section!

Edited by David_Parker