[TR] Mt. Rainier - Steamboat Prow (Inter Glacier) 7/14/2013

lukeh

Trip: Mt. Rainier - Steamboat Prow (Inter Glacier)

Date: 7/14/2013

Trip Report:

My friend and I went up to Steamboat Prow last weekend to camp and take pics of the Emmons, Winthrop, etc.

Info might be interesting to anyone planning to travel the Inter Glacier, or who wants to see what the Emmons/Winthrop look like about a week ago. Or if you like composed alpine pics and a brief story!

Blog entry + route info, story, and even more pics | Larger pics on FB

steam-7.jpg

Brendan overlooking the Winthrop as the sun sets (cell phone pic).

steam-4.jpg

Those little dots are tents at Camp Schurman and the Emmons Flats, not skittles as I originally thought.

steam-2.jpg

View back to Freemont Lookout, Burroughs Mt., Sunrise area from 9700ft.

Blog entry + route info, story, and even more pics | Larger pics on FB

Luke

Gear Notes:

DVD of the 1989 Tom Hanks/Corey Feldman classic film, "The Burbs". No DVD player.

Approach Notes:

Didn't see any bear unfortunately, just bear shit.

Edited by lukeh

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gene, as of a few weekends ago - I don't think so. The snow conditions are the SUCK on the emmons (for skiing). Fine for climbing, suck for skiing. I helped a couple skiiers navigate around some nasty snowbridgy stuff and got accolades from them. They were pretty much having a scrape fest over stupid sun cups and we were coming down around 10-11 am so the sun was already hitting. Maybe if they make a late start and hit it around 5 pm it would be a little better, but honestly it didn't look great and they didn't look like they were having much fun.

The rangers did a few ascents while we were there and I never saw any skis leave Sherman. I have a feeling that in the wake of last years accident they are being extra cautious. They seemed pretty serious about talking to every team in a more pointed fashion than I've heard before - since their ability to rescue has been greatly diminished. I'd think that the NPS would consider them skiing down the route at this point - likely unroped - would be way too risky and they'd put an end to it.

It appears that unfortunately this skier died after a fall 2 weekends ago on the Emmons at 13,500. It was the exact same day I skied down the DC side (was icy until closer to 13,000 ft where it started to soften in the sun). Very sad, RIP.

Edited by lukeh