Doing a trip to Exit 32/Exit 38 - Beta please?

Khoi

Two or three of us will be driving down for a 3-day trip (Monday-Wednesday) to Ext 32/Exit 38. None of us have been there before. I have the guidebooks for both areas.

What are our options for camping?

We are also considering, if there will be 3 of us, the option of splitting a motel room. Any recommendations there?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is decent, though I think illegal, camping on the beach near the bridge that crosses the river on your way over to Far Side. I'd recommend parking at the lot and walking in the 10 minutes, and walking out of sight of the road, especially if you're planning a camp fire.

MOtel... hmmm North Bend is closest, I guess, but no tips...

have you considered Squamish?

Mmmm. Far side beach camping may get you in trouble with da law, particularly if you light a fire. That road leads to a firefighter training facility and is used at all hours of the day and night. It is, I believe, legal to camp along the road on the other side of the highway. At least there's some folks there camped for the season. Best not to leave valuables in your car at trailheads.

There is a truck stop and a hotel at exit 34 too. I bet rooms are pretty cheap honestly. North bend is a great little town - lots of options for food, coffee, shopping, etc.

http://www.edgewickinn.com/

The MF camping will be pretty far IMHO but it IS in between. The Edgewick Inn would probably be worth the money and puts you within a few minutes of both areas. So, more climbing and less camping stuff. However, if you want a fire, I'd not do that in the room ;-) Farside is usually less populated than Deception IMHO and there's lots of climbing. Note that the "times" in the guidebook to get to areas are not cumulative.

When it says 5 minutes to Gritscone than 10 minutes to Easy Street it doesn't mean 15 total minutes from the car to Easy Street it just means an overall 10. When we first looked at the book we stupidly thought it was 45 minutes to interstate park. It's like 15 if you're slow. DOH.

Wow. This means that exit 38 is destination climbing. You've come a long way baby!

A friend of mine takes his kids camping at the Denny creek campground and has good things to say. Exit 47. Forest service.

Have fun, if you start at the trestle area you will never leave Canada again.

• 2 weeks later...