[TR] Barbara, Nancy and the Southern Sisters - 7/16/2013

Dr.Go

Trip: Barbara, Nancy and the Southern Sisters -

Date: 7/16/2013

Trip Report:

I climbed Twin Crest Peak, Saddle Slab Peak, Shirley Peak, Trisolace Peak, Barbara Peak and Nancy Peak on July 15 and 16. I wanted to mix things up so headed up the Elbow Lk trail, past Elbow Lk and down the other side towards Pioneer Horse Camp. I left the trail at 2650 ft from a switch back and contoured until I hit the open basin. I found remnants of an old trail, old prospector trail maybe, bush shwacked for an hour before the valley opened up. Headed up towards Cinderella and took a ramp from right to left that popped me out between Twin Crest and Saddle Slab, 6.5 hrs approximately. Climbed Twin Crest and Saddle Slab, then set up camp just south of Saddle slab on a nice bench with running water and a great view over the Puget Sound, Vancouver Island and Olympics.

The next morning I set off about 6:30 and climbed Shirley with Jesse Dog, his only summit, then carried over. Followed a bench over a west spur of one of Tisolace peaks towards the tallest, southern peak. Climbed a minor rib next from left to right, next to the descent gully, solid rock. The summit register showed the last party was in 09 and the previous was 05. Next made my way to Barbara. Left the dog at here, I wanted to climb the central rib on the NW face but mid way up, it got very steep so I bumped right to a gully, which had a nice open book, sisters style slab to the summit. Descended the S gully on Barbara and headed for the central rib on NW face of Nancy. The rib was less rib and more blocky, but good rock led to the steep upper head wall. Quality 4th class (5.4) slab to the summit. Descended west, then back across the NW face via ledges to snow. On the way back to camp I stayed low, west of the peaks following benches and weakness. Camp to camp 4 hrs.

On the way out I went past Boot Lake to the saddle between Little Sister and Cinderella, 1.5 hrs from camp. Then down and out Green Creek. The shwack from the river to the Elbow Lk trail only took 1 hr and 15 min! If I were going out there again I would head up Green Ck, but the variation was nice for a change. I have now climbed all the peaks in the Twin Sisters Range (besides Last Sister and Step Sister, but they are very minor).

Jesse Boy in the meadows below Cinderella

IMG_33442.JPG

Twin Crest

IMG_33462.JPG

Saddle Slab from the summit of Twin Crest. I climbed the slab to the N summit, on the left, very low angle. Also on the S summit I climbed a 20 ft granite patch.

IMG_3350.JPG

View South from Twin Crest, from R to L, Shirley, Trisolace, Barbara and Nancy

IMG_3360.JPG

Shirley

IMG_3364.JPG

Jesse on the summit of Shirley looking north. He required a few moves of aid.

IMG_3367.JPG

NW face of Trisolace, climbed a rib just right of the big scar leading L to R, which I descended

IMG_33711.JPG

Summit register on Trisolace looking north. An ascent every 4 years

IMG_3372.JPG

NW face of Barbara. Climbed the central rib till mid way then moved right to gully, good rock

IMG_3381.JPG

Summit shot on Barbara looking north

IMG_3379.JPG

NW face of Nancy from summit of Barbara

IMG_3373.JPG

Upper head wall on Nancy

IMG_3380.JPG

Jesse

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

Boot Lake looking at Twin Crest

IMG_3388.JPG

Jesse at the Little Sister, Cinderella saddle

IMG_3389.JPG

Gear Notes:

Ice ax and crampons, never used crampons, but still like to have them

Approach Notes:

Green Creek shwack, had good luck at around 2870 and 2900 ft.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic