Good mountains to do solo

I've had a hard time finding a reliable climbing partner for weekdays this summer, so I've just been driving out and hiking mountains solo. What are some good suggestions for straightforward routes (preferably scrambles) that can be done in a day? Mountain Loop Highway I hear is a good place to start (I'm in Everett).

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark,

I am available mid week to climb. Good solos include Ruth Mountain, Sulphide Glacier on Shuksan, Cascadian Couloir on Mt Stuart, Colchuck Peak via Colchuck Glacier, Dragontail, Whitehorse, Three Fingers.

Edited by DPS

for just good plain getting out fun along the mtn loop:

hike up pilchuck - not hard but still fun and get some exercise

hike up dickerman - same as above but much longer

vesper - not the n face but the scramble up the other side which is the descent line.

and for stuff I haven't done:

what about going up sloan but not thte corkscrew way to avoid glaciers?

white chuck - not sure of the road situation but there is a good solo line on the west face.

whitehorse?

for others: if you are going to solo 5th class routes, I hope you choose well traveled lines to minimize loose rock.

I think that the s face of ingals is a nice easy 5th class solo.

das toof?

In addition to the above excellent suggestions I like Sahale, Maude, and Cashmere for solo scrambles. I've done South Early Winters Spire South Couloir as an early season solo. A good book to check out is "75 Scambles in Washington: Classic Routes to the Summits". Enjoy!

W Ridge of North Twin Sister (the one near Baker) is one of my favorites out of the scrambles I've done (well, my favorite that can be reasonably done in a day). It resembles some "west ridge" technical routes where you might be simuling on 3rd/4th class stuff forever because you are not sure when the 5.7 step will appear. Except there is no 5.7 here so you don't have that rope/rack/partner etc. weighing you down. I did not touch a single loose rock, which was a nice surprise (it was winter, YMMV).

my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurelfan/sets/72157628379870711/with/6495868625/

some beta: http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/northtwinsister

Here's a list with a lot of options:

http://scrambles.wacweb.org/index.html

On the Mountain Loop I'd look at Pugh and Vesper in addition to Three Fingers and Whitehorse for views on a daytrip. Del Campo from NW has a good early season route with barely a scramble at the top. It is probably still ok.

On the Mountain Loop I'd look at Pugh and Vesper in addition to Three Fingers and Whitehorse for views on a daytrip. Del Campo from NW has a good early season route with barely a scramble at the top. It is probably still ok.

:tup:

Pugh is totally mellow with a big payoff (views of Sloan in particular)

If you are good with the drive, I'd say Observation Rock or Echo Rock (or both!) would be a good solo trip. OR is barely class 2 - bring crampons and ice axe and you'll be golden (I know rocketparotlet)

very hestitant to suggest any glacier soloing, but the sahale arm way to sahale is a doable solo glacier ascent.

Ruth is a little more crevassed but not by much. maybe best to solo this when all the winter snow is gone and hopefully all crevasses are open.