Fear the snaffles?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all gonna die:

(Shot at Inspiration Col)

[video:youtube]

They're not bad - they keep the place free of litter. Stuff your gear in a pack and you'll be fine with a bivvy.

Unless they go for the soft parts of your face while you sleep.

You never know.

I remember being locked in mortal combat with a big bastard all night on a bivy ledge while doing to Torment-Forbidden traverse. The damn thing kept trying to chew through my pack.

I think the same Snaffle chewed the snot out of my new pack on the T-F Traverse.

I guess I will just have to add them to my list- of animals I have been bitten, chased, harassed, or attacked by.

Much restraint was shown in Ivan's video, patting that thing on the head to shoo it away rather than executing it.

But it is a national park after all.

Edited by Nater

I guess I will just have to add them to my list- of animals I have been bitten, chased, harassed, or attacked by.

Much restraint was shown in Ivan's video, patting that thing on the head to shoo it away rather than executing it.

But it is a national park after all.

Leave no trace. If you kill it, you have to eat it.

I remember being locked in mortal combat with a big bastard all night on a bivy ledge while doing to Torment-Forbidden traverse. The damn thing kept trying to chew through my pack.

I think the same Snaffle chewed the snot out of my new pack on the T-F Traverse.

They certainly are the largest Snaffles I have ever seen out in the Cascades.

On Dragontail I slept with my head on pack but still woke up to the sweet smell of rodent (woodrat) right next to my face trying to snafflehound my pack. On another open bivy mice were terrorizing the place. I would just wake up now and then and flip my feet up and down to shake them off my sleeping bag. On Chiefshead CO a marmot came sprinting up the glacier toward my stowed pack while I was on the rock. Poorly aimed rock chucking did not deter it.

Not having rodents in the mountains is definitely aid.

Edited by matt_warfield

If they chew into your food, your boots, or chew your brake lines, ... or if they just run across your face when you are trying to sleep - they are bad. Call 'em snaffles, or call them just plain no good.

I love nature but there are limits.

I climbed the Boulder Cleaver/Glacier on Baker last week. Poking our heads out of the tent at 1 am revealed a well-attended rodent party in progress in our camp.

I was an idiot and left my bowl and spork in the open. The bowl was licked clean and the party guests left several turds where my oatmeal was planning on being. I rinsed several times with boiling water but I am still preparing for hauntavirus or the plague.