[TR] Liberty Bell, WA Pass - Beckey Route 6/22/2013

gavastik

Trip: Liberty Bell, WA Pass - Beckey Route

Date: 6/22/2013

Trip Report:

RK and I went to Washington Pass on Saturday. The plan was to do the N Face of Concord and then maybe the Beckey Route on Liberty Bell. The N Face of Concord was really wet, so we roped up for Beckey. A very nice party of 4 from Monroe (hi fearless leader Wes!) let us climb next to them and then ahead of them.

I had climbed the route a couple of years ago, but kept forgetting which way to go, and the ST route description somehow was very confusing. When in doubt (on p3), go the well-traveled way :). Anyway, what I love about the Beckey Rte is how grippy the rock is on it. Always felt super-solid.

Pictures here.

Gear Notes:

Ice axe and/or poles for the snow. We wore crampons in the morning on the way up, but the snow was soft and we could have bare-booted it. Others did.

Approach Notes:

Patchy snow higher on the trail, solid snow after awhile on the approach path, then loose rock, then steep-ish snow to ~100+ ft under the Liberty-Concord col. As always, beware loose rock in that gully.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic