Rainier permit for single day climb..saturday??

Water

Want to climb leaving from Portland Friday night. Earliest we can leave town is 4pm. Am I correct that the only option is to wait all the way till 6am sat for the rangers to issue a permit? Seems so f'd up not everyone can be there before 5pm on Friday.

Already have our $44 climb pass and were on the route two weeks ago.

Can't believe we aren't able to fax our info in in lieu of being there. Or is this something people just be stealth with? Not exactly my interest in a Nat park..

Personally feel this is such a safety thing to make their arbitrary operating hours control climb starts. Sunday is not looking nearly as good.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to get a camping permit in person, but if you are doing a day climb you can self register by filling out the paperwork and sticking it in a steel container. At least you used to be able to do that, maybe that has changed?

thanks for responses folks.

i was informed self registration ends sometime in the spring/summer when the climbing ranger building is staffed for the summer. So you just can't do that, and that we were SOL--but I didn't push too hard, was just querying.

Was looking to do Kautz but partner got sick yesterday/def not at 100% so am refocusing with new partner on a different mountain not encircled with red tape.

But ScaredSilly I like that approach, there has to be exceptions at times.. I understand the policy, kind of and have made it up in time in the past but really there are times it is not possible but a climb should not make or break based on administrivia hours when all other ducks are in a row.

I am generally successful at firm/polite pursuit of this type of thing so if it comes up again will try to speak with Mr. Lofgren