• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
mmeyers

skinning at downhill areas

Can anyone tell me if any of the bigger WA ski resorts (Snoq, Stevens, Crystal - although I'm mostly interested in the rules for Snoq) allow you to skin up and ski down, or do you have to take the lift up?

(I'm looking for options for me during ski trips with the fam)

Matt

I know there are lots of people skinning up the boundry rd/trail at baker. As long as you are considerate to the paying public, the patrol didn't bother us.

I've skinned up to silver basin before at crystal. It was probably 3 years ago though. No one told me that I couldn't. I just stuck to the side and stayed out of the way of downhill traffic.

Yes, Mt. Baker is awesome for this. Don't try it up in Canada though. I'm sorry to day that our ski patrol are all humorless dullards.

Stevens

Mission Ridge

Crystal

Snoqualmie and Mt Baker don't have any uphill travel policy documentation online that I could find.

Thanks.

As an added note, I love it when someone proves my internet searching skillz inadequate, despite my best efforts :D

My understanding is that Snoqualmie and Alpental allow uphill travel during the day, but ask that you respectfully stay near the boundary. If patrol thinks downhill traffic is too busy, they'll ask that you not skin.

Alpental also asks that people check in with Patrol on Mondays and try to check in before / after hours in case they're doing control work. There's a phone number in the parking lot for a recorded message as well.