[TR] Nooksack Tower - NE Face (Beckey/Schmidtke) 6/10/2013

Tom_Sjolseth

Trip: Nooksack Tower - NE Face (Beckey/Schmidtke)

Date: 6/10/2013

Trip Report:

Lunger and I conspired this weekend to do some climbing in the Nooksack Cirque. Our grand plans of high alpine shenanigans only partly materialized, but we had a great time effecting our plan B and wound up on the summit of Nooksack Tower.

We set up camp on a tiny dry patch of ground at ~6k above the glacier. After setting up the shelter which we nicknamed "The Concorde", we lounged around and enjoyed the views of the Price Glacier Cirque. We soon engaged in some fairly interesting discussions, covering topics ranging from cigarette boats to tacos.

Conditions on route were a bit spicy with plenty of snow still on the face. A lot different experience than my previous trip up Nooksack Tower in July 2009.

Thanks to lunger for signing up on such short notice and for teaching me the ways of the light and fast Jedi.

Here are some photos:

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_28371.JPG

IMG_28382.JPG

IMG_28441.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_28551.JPG

IMG_28581.JPG

IMG_28591.JPG

IMG_28624.JPG

IMG_28701.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_28721.JPG

IMG_28762.JPG

IMG_28791.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_28832.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_28941.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

IMG_29233.JPG

IMG_29343.JPG

IMG_29391.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_29511.JPG

IMG_29523.JPG

IMG_29552.JPG

IMG_29791.JPG

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeebus Tom, you are crushing it! I was mightily impressed by Nooksack Tower when I got a close look from Price Glacier.

Does anyone know if the North (NW?) Buttress has been climbed from the small saddle one has to climb over to access Price Glacier? I don't have my Beckey guides anymore.

Edited by DPS

DPS.. that N Buttress has been climbed and goes at 5.9. There are a few trip reports on cc.com (Marcus & Darin and Eric L & Mike L's TRs come to mind).

Ivan - the approach was slightly easier with snow cover.. the talus traverse was covered, so that made things a little bit better. PS.. nice drawing in the summit register, I missed that last time. Was that courtesy of you or Layton?

PS.. nice drawing in the summit register, I missed that last time. Was that courtesy of you or Layton?

i can't hardly remember last week, and it seems a looooong time ago since me n' mike did that thing - what was it of? if a giant hairy rocketship, that was probably me :)

Super fun trip with plenty of inspiring views, engaging climbing, and hilarity--much thanks, Tom, for the invite. Have wanted to check out this side of Shuksan for a while, it's as remote and beautiful as imagined--all enjoyed from the comfort of our pimped Concorde.

On the loose traverse, Price Gl background:

IMG_3396.JPG

Tom on the ridge crest, near the top:

IMG_3407.JPG

More pics here

• 2 weeks later...