yosemite?

ivan

summer break starts next week, june 19 - partner fell through - looking for somebody interested in practically anything - got as much time as you have - el cap, half dome, whatever really. solid drinking n' smoking skills preferred (not to mention being a better free-climber than me), but i'm willing to slum :)

send word and enter into cc.retard tr-history :rawk:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's gonna be hot!

a brother can always hope :)

i've spent 4 early summer's down there now - the first had temps way over a hundred, the 2nd more like the 90s, but the last two have been great - so either it'll be fine 'r fucked :P

yer also gonna die.

depending on how long you're in the trench I might be down to do a 2 day wall (cause that's all the time I get off work) but I'm for sure down for some beer drinking and bullshitting. Something like 10 days after or jesus built my hotrod. I gotta ledge and all that crap, but not carrying a bunch of shit is a nice way to start a wall. If I can get 3 days off I'd be super stoked on doing the direct NW face of HD. Do we have each other's #'s yet?

half dome will be perfect...

but do i need a permit now to walk down the trail? :)

do you mean up the trail? To half dome? You need a permit for a day hike?

was making a joke of course, but yeah, to walk up the trail to the top of half dome requires permits now as i understand since they want to limit traffic on the descent which gets folks killed sometimes - i don't know specifics - i imagine there's an exception for climbers descending :)

So last time I climbed Half Dome. There were tons of folks on top. So all those people will need a permit now to walk to the top?

from the nps website:

Permits to hike to the top of Half Dome are required seven days per week when the cables are up (as called for in the Half Dome Plan in order to protect wilderness character, reduce crowding, protect natural and cultural resources, and improve safety).

A maximum of 300 hikers will be allowed (about 225 day hikers and 75 backpackers) each day on the Half Dome Trail beyond the base of the subdome.

Like last year, permits will be distributed by lottery via Recreation.gov. We held a single preseason lottery with an application period in March and will hold daily lotteries during the hiking season. Backpackers should apply for Half Dome permits with their wilderness permit.

On each preseason lottery application, people can apply for up to six permits (six people) and for up to seven dates. Applications will only be successful if the number of permits requested is available on at least one of the requested dates. If enough permits are available for more than one of the requested dates, permits will be automatically awarded to the highest priority date, as entered by the applicant. Applicants may apply as the trip leader only once per lottery. Multiple applications with the same trip leader will be removed from the lottery.

The applicant must specify the name of the trip leader and may specify the name of an alternate. Each person may apply as a trip leader only once per lottery. People applying multiple times as trip leader will have all their lottery applications canceled. Permits will only be valid if the trip leader and/or alternate specified on the permit is part of the group using the permits. The group with trip leader or alternate must be present together at the base of the subdome, where rangers will check for permits. The names of the trip leader and alternate may not be changed once the application is submitted, and their permits are not transferable.

Preseason Lottery

Two hundred and twenty-five permits for each day were available through a preseason lottery. The application period for this lottery was from March 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013. Applicants will receive an email with lottery results on April 15 (or can get results online or by calling Recreation.gov). We are planning on the Half Dome cables being up May 24, 2013 through October 14, 2013, but these dates could change based on conditions.

(You can view graphs that show how many Half Dome permit applications were submitted for each day during the 2012 Half Dome season.)

Daily Lottery

Approximately 50 permits will be available each day by lottery during the hiking season. These permits will be available based on the estimated rate of under-use and cancellation of permits (the exact number may change through the summer). The daily lotteries will have an application period two days prior to the hiking date with a notification late that night. (So, to hike on Saturday, you would apply on Thursday and receive an email notification of results late on Thursday night. Results will also be available online, or by phone the next morning.) The application period will be from midnight to 1 pm Pacific time.

Daily Lottery Success Rate: For mid-June through August, 2012, an average of 86 permits were available each day via the daily lottery. About 21% of lottery applications were successful, on average.Beginning early September, a larger number of permits were available during weekdays (due to fewer initial applications in the spring lottery), providing a much better chance of success. September weekends remained busy with fewer permits available, resulting in a 20-30% success rate.

How to Apply for a Permit

To apply for a permit, visit Recreation.gov or call 877/444-6777 (call center is open from 7 am to 9 pm Pacific time; online requests can be made any time during a lottery period).

Fees

Two separate fees are collected. The first fee, which is charged at the time you submit an application, is $4.50 (online) or $6.50 (by phone). This non-refundable fee, which is per application (not per person), is charged by Recreation.gov for the costs of processing your permit application.

The second fee is $8 per person and is charged only when you receive a permit. (This fee also applies to wilderness permit holders.) This fee pays for park rangers checking for Half Dome permits and providing Half Dome visitors with hiking and safety information. The $8 fee is fully refundable if you cancel your permit more than two days before the hiking date specified on your permit or if the cables are not up on the date for which your permit is valid.

Still have questions? You can call us at 209/372-0826 (Monday-Friday, 9 am to noon and 1 pm to 4:30 pm).

fyi -

"Note: Backpackers with an appropriate wilderness permit can receive a Half Dome permit when they pick up their wilderness permit with no additional reservation required. Rock climbers who reach the top of Half Dome without entering the subdome area can descend on the Half Dome Trail without a permit."

http://www.ohranger.com/blog/10/03/permits-get-your-permits-half-dome-cable-permits-available-monday-may-and-june