teens climbing

sk

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Muffy! Thanks for your letter.

I highly recommend outdoor activities for youngsters. It can promote a healthy and active lifestyle. Climbing, done correctly, can be a great outlet for a teenager. I also recommend a healthy diet and reading Catcher in the Rye for the young man.

One or two top ropes is a good introduction.

If he takes to it find someone trustworthy for actual instruction. Getting him out in the world outside of the house while not feeling required to act as an instructor has benefits for both you and thing.

if you want grandchildren, you might warn him off sport climbing, as gay men, statistically speaking, have few children :)

Yeah, teach him to aid climb...

;-)

no good unless you want lambs for grandkids...

aidclimbers= sheep___ers!

:lmao:

if you want grandchildren, you might warn him off sport climbing, as gay men, statistically speaking, have few children :)

That's misleading. Aid climbers get laid so infrequently that gay men actually have more children than big wall climbers.

I've said this before...but teaching your children how to climb is a mixed bag. As was said above, it gives them a relatively healthy activity. Dangerous, but not as bad many of the other things kids get into, like motocross...or drugs.

I had that exact conversation with Ron Kawk at the base of Yosemite falls. We both raised young men who climbed, and experienced similar guilt toward leading them into something other than golf.

Kids are going to gravitate toward adrenaline activities anyway. You can do worse than leading them into one that has a lot of built in safety. It hasn't killed us yet right?

But don't do it to get a guaranteed partner. My son went his own way, and rarely climbs now. But he did turn out to be a very solid and active young man.

My daughter also got a lot out of climbing, and still climbs. It gets them out of the house to experience the beauty of the outdoors, and high places in particular.

They learn to be brave, and to put absolute trust in their partners...you can do worse.

That's misleading. Aid climbers get laid so infrequently that gay men actually have more children than big wall climbers.

dunno, seem to recall seeing that ammon-character down in the valley w/ a miiiighty fine looking female :grin: