[TR] Mt. Hood - Elliot Headwall 6/2/2013

TurinTheLost

Trip: Mt. Hood - Elliot Headwall

Date: 6/2/2013

Trip Report:

Mito and I had settled on plans to head up to Hood and try the Pencil if was in and if not do the Elliot headwall. We left sat morning from PDX left the Tilly Jane Trail head around 9:30 and made it up to Snow dome sometime around 4 I want to say. Built a nice camp site with snow walls as

it was a bit windy. I really didn't want a repeat of taking down a tent in the middle of the night like a few weeks ago on rainier.

We determined that the Pencil was not in. Looked like sun bleached ice, or snow. Probably climbable but most likely not protectable.

So we set our sites for a line up the headwall. Started moving in the morning around 5:30. Crossed over onto the Elliot glacier right away and walked up more or less the center of the glacier. Cracks were very well filled in. placed a few pickets for the comfort of it while crossing the Elliot, and soon got to the base of the headwall where I belayed Mito up.

There was a pretty obvious line of least resistance through the headwall which we chose. Starting basically from climbers left and weaving around a bit up to a snow gully followed by the final steep pitch to the summit ridge. I'd say most of the climbing was around WI2/3.

We did it in 4 pitches from the base of the headwall to the summit ridge, with only a bit of simul-climbing.

We placed almost exclusively screws. I couldn't believe how good the ice was up there. That was until the last pitch at least where we ran into thin sunbleached ice.

Incredible climbing though, certainly deserves more attention.

IMG_9335-Optimized.JPG

Elliot Headwall we went up Left side of pic to the snow gully and final steep pitch.

8940911471_6271d4c2b0_o.jpg

Approach to the Headwall

8940912063_ecaf673800_o.jpg

P1

8940972631_2150e8dd3b_o.jpg

P2

8940973797_af3abd7850_o.jpg

P3

8941792022_1f34485383_o.jpg

P4

8941792930_deb8c0b018_o.jpg

P4

Gear Notes:

Took 5 screws on route with us wouldn't have hurt to have one or two more. Took 3 pickets, 2 would have done just fine. Took some rock pro and pins didn't need any of it.

Approach Notes:

TJ trail head to snow dome makes for a nice leisurely approach day instead of doing it C2C.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good times, Forrest!

"The nice leisurely approach" in the rain and whiteout was kind of hmmm, though. Our lives certainly did not suck then :) .

The last pitch was interesting: the rock was as if made of a toothpaste but luckily frozen in place. The summit cornice took some tunneling work.

8940974091_3a5acc1cb0_b.jpg

Good one! We saw you guys coming down. Thanks for the steps heading up and down Sunshine. Ended up skiing from your snow shelter on nice butter. Crossing the bergie under Horseshoe rock on the way out was a bit unnerving as it made a small burp as I stepped across it. Other than that nice conditions!