kautz right now..few questions..skis?

Water

haven't been on the route before. no current conditions info avail from rangers.

Original plan had us thinking the chute was going to be icy enough to justify some pro and at least a second tool or two, and that we'd do the whole route in our standard climbing boots.

But with the post-holey warmth..and the refresher cycle of winter conditions for a few weeks back, thinking this might really be more of a snow climb.

thus we're really leaning to bring the skis and skin up the turtle/towards hazard. Beyond that curious if anyone has any feedback on skiing the kautz itself, or upper part? Spose if it is spicy we'll take'm off for that portion.

appreciate any feedback, thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I skied the Kautz, including the chute, 6 times between '85 and 2000. It was always a great ski, but I haven't been on it since. The chute is visible from Longmire and Paradise. If you take binoculars in the car you can see if there is snow or ice. You don't need much snow, only a 15-20 foot wide ribbon that's continuous. I look forward to your tr.

Dale

skied the Kautz in mid-May 2008 and it furnished ample snow and excellent conditions for turns. hard tellin' not knowin', but you could likely catch it in good ski shape over the next week. as you note, can always downclimb a firm section.