[TR] Mt. Washington - North Ridge rock via NW bowl 6/1/2013

bedellympian

Trip: Mt. Washington - North Ridge rock via NW bowl

Date: 6/1/2013

Trip Report:

I climbed Mt. Washington on Saturday via the North Ridge. I camped at the PCT TH on Friday night and set out at 6am, sleeping in like a total slob. The climbers trail is still hidden by snow. I ended up on the flanks of the West Ridge and traversed into the NW bowl before beelining up to the base of the summit pinnacle on the North Ridge (40+ deg neve). The rock still has snow on it but it was soft enough to kick step so I climbed to the summit in guide tennies. I made two short raps w/ a 30m rope and down climbed the rest. Followed the North Ridge proper back. Still couldn't find the climbers trail in the trees. Got back to the car before 1pm. Car to car in under 7 hours, no record but seemed good under the circumstances.

Blog post w/ photos: Mountain Mischief

Gear Notes:

Custom guide tennies thanks to the Gear Fix in Bend, strap-on pons, 2 tools (not necessary but its fun to pretend your Ueli Steck in that one video when you're climbing on steep snow), 30m 8mm half rope for raps, slings and leaver biners.

Approach Notes:

PCT south. I would start heading up/SE, off the trail, once you leave the burn. If you just keep going uphill you'll end up on the N ridge.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days