Baker - Coleman Headwall beta

aikidjoe

Hi,

Thinking of heading to Baker to climb Coleman Headwall this weekend. I know that Glacier Creek road is closed about 7 miles from the trailhead. I am wondering if anyone has been up there recently and knows if the road is skiable? Also, more generally, how are conditions on the north side of Baker?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A buddy and I are planning on the N. Ridge in about a week or so. Would you mind posting on how you accessed the north side (if you go this weekend)? We're having trouble deciding between renting bikes to bike up the Glacier Creek road or approaching via the Easton Glacier.

Thanks.

Erik - Thanks for info. I've been up there a couple times, but it's been a few years - was any of the road gravel/dirt? Thinking I might try biking, but my buddy and I don't have mountain bikes... just road bikes.

JonW2 - I will let you know.

95+% of the Glacier Creek Road is good pavement. It's steep though. Better be in good biking shape and if you're just carrying your gear in a pack plan on walking. A road bike is fine in fact better than a mountain bike. Closed at ~1 mile in. Washout ~3 miles in. Last mile or 1/2 mile of the road is still blocked by snow but that will be gone in a few days with this weather.

Both the closure and washout would easily be passable by vehicle but I guess that would be illegal. Considering that Canyon Creek Road has yet to be repaired and the amount of work it looks like it would take to build a stable bypass around the Glacier Creek washout (along with the complete lack of federal $$$) I would not anticipate this road opening anytime soon if ever.

My friend and I agreed that the FS would appear to be decommissioning any and all roads as fast as mother nature can give them a reason too.

An electric mountain bike would be the ticket!

One advantage of a mountain bike vs. road bike, is that the MB is probably going to be geared a bit lower, maybe a lot lower. For the grade of that road, I would want the smallest gear possible.

Edited by kerwinl