Expedition glacier glasses

alpine et

I've been using Julbo Colorado glacier glasses for a few seasons, as they were the strongest I could get at 2nd Ascent. I still come back from every glacier trip with bloodshot eyes and lots of irritation - clearly on the exposed parts of my eye. I'm fairly meticulous with keeping them on tight.

Anyone have tips for real strong glacier glasses? The ones I've been using have a 5% visibile light transmittance.... I don't see much that is lower - perhaps that is not the key thing to look for? Seems all decent pairs claim 100% UV protection.... I'd like to retain a decent color cast, if possible, as about half the reason I'm out there is to take pictures...

thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a good 'seal' around your eyes? Put your sunglasses on and look around at your peripheral vision. If you can see the ground below the frames, or the sky above, UV radiation just does an end-around your lenses into your eyes.

And you don't necessarily need glacier glasses to go on glaciers. I've been to altitude a few times with good sport wraps that fit my face better than any glacier glasses do.

Are you sure it's the UV that's bugging your eyes. Sometimes my eyes get dried out and irritated just from the wind you often encounter and don't pay much attention to. It happens on cloudy days as well and is sometimes worse when skiing (below tree line) if I don't wear goggles. Eye drops might help then, or clear goggles/glasses when it's not bright out.

I don't think increasing visible light opacity would help much since they already block UV. Unless you are getting a lot of leakage as mentioned above.

you are by chance taking any anti-biotics or meds of some kind? I forget the type, but I have seen anti-biotics make people more sensitive to light. One guy couldn't use sunglasses at all. we had to make him a cardboard slit glasses over reg glasses to be on the glacier. Obviously you are not as bad as him, but maybe other meds have a effect as well.

have you tried the old school glacier glasses, more aviator style with generous leather side shields. might prevent leakage better.

nope, no meds, and since this is a recurring issue I suspect it's something rather fundamental. No one has come jumping out with some specialized expedition style glasses, so I guess the only thing I can do is minimize leakage... i'll give that a whirl this weekend... looking like another one that'll test out the setup well.... :)

have you tried the old school glacier glasses, more aviator style with generous leather side shields. might prevent leakage better.

I have a pair of aviator styled, high quality optical glass lens pair of Cebes, with big leather side sheilds and a leather forehead thing like Gene described. They block 100% of UV and 95% of visible, as most glacier glasses do, but are much darker than my Julbo Sherpas they replaced. I can't even drive in the things they are so dark.

Do you still find yourself squinting? If you already have the strongest lenses, its got to be the frames. And a tight fit isn't necessary at all - just something that blocks the reflected light from the sides and below. I routinely use two pairs of more casual ski glasses (Native's), one pair with a brown lense for overcast/low light days (and driving) and the exact same model with a darker lense for sunny days - so dark that I can't use them to drive.

Another possibility is that you're simply light-sensitive. Your profile pic looks pretty ginger-y, and folks with impossible-to-tan-fair-skin are also more likely to have light-sensitivities. You may need to check with an ophthalmologist.

Edited by chris

You might need to upgrade in price to get a better level of protection. I'd contact Julbo with your complaint and see what they have to say, if there is actually that much difference in the degree of protection depending on price range. Of course everyone's eyes are different, but I have had a pair of Julbo Micropores PS for years and have had no problems. I recently bought a pair of Julbo Bivouaks on recommendation of a friend who is a guide, and they're pretty amazing; sharp, crisp vision,actually very relaxing to the eyes to wear for long periods, very comfortable and rugged.

Both these models of Julbo glasses are expensive, but I consider it a small price to pay for the safety of my vision, which is of course priceless. There are a number of things climbers simply can't really economize on, such as ropes, pro,helmets etc., and the best quality glacier glasses were one of the very first purchases of climbing gear I made many years ago.

squinting... I don't think so - I never really realize it until I'm back at the car and the stinging starts up. more I'm thinking it through, more I'll probably see what a dr. has to say...

and thanks - I'll check out those other Julbos - I don't mind throwing down more money at all, just want to make sure they'll actually be stronger / better fit

thanks